Clear up my questions on "signing off" | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Clear up my questions on "signing off" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cmac101

Im just about to qualify, I've been doing a few private jobs extensions, garages, etc... But I have to keep telling the customer that I can't sign it off. I've had an offer come through for some new rewires but what qualifications do i need to have?
17th edition qualified,
2391 certification,
Part-P,
NICEIC registered.
Do i need one or more of these to do my own jobs test and sign off?

Im grateful of any answers.

To "sign off" your own jobs then you will need to be a member of a competent persons scheme (Part P scheme), such as Elecsa, NICEIC, Napit.
You should not be doing notifiable work in your case without LBC being notified in advance of the planned work. They will come and inspect, you do the work (assuming you are indeed competent) and test it all, then they return and sign it off for you if it is all hunky-dory.

Another option is to get a registered electrician to to sort out the paperwork side of life for you, usually a small fee to cover their time and paperwork. It's also a good way of getting your name known and building your reputation.

LABC in some areas charge an absolute fortune for some specky bloke who read a book several years ago to come round and nit pick. For example Cambridgeshire want in excess of £240.

Another option is to get a registered electrician to to sort out the paperwork side of life for you, usually a small fee to cover their time and paperwork. It's also a good way of getting your name known and building your reputation.

LABC in some areas charge an absolute fortune for some specky bloke who read a book several years ago to come round and nit pick. For example Cambridgeshire want in excess of £240.

So some registered electrician will sort everything out for a small fee eh ? Someone else's work ? Makes you think !

So some registered electrician will sort everything out for a small fee eh ? Someone else's work ? Makes you think !
I could have explained better... Pay someone to certify your work, not down the pub over a pint but on site and actually looking at and testing the work.

They are still providing the installation certificate for someone else's work. The certificates belong to the holder and the Part P would have to be provided by them. You could sub contract, legally the way out.

Check with your local authority what their prices are.
Just starting out it may not be economic to join a scheme straight off. My local building control charge on the value of the work. For jobs under £1,000 they charge £84, for jobs £1k-2k they charge £149. They want to see first fix then completion at which time they want to see all the certification and test results.
If you use meteor (forum sponsors) you can get the customer to pay for all materials at retail cost and meteor will send you a cheque for the difference between trade and retail. This will keep the 'value' of the job down.
5 jobs in a year x £84 = less than your first years elecsa / napit subscription
This assumes that you can be regarded as 'competent' with your existing levels of qualification

Last edited:

And which schemes allow this???????????

Not only is this not really allowed (tho I know that many do it), you will not look very professional if you keep saying to customers "I will do the work but I have to get a "registered" electrician to sign it off for you." I'm sure that in the end most people would rather just hire him/her in the first place.

Check with your local authority what their prices are.
Just starting out it may not be economic to join a scheme straight off. My local building control charge on the value of the work. For jobs under £1,000 they charge £84, for jobs £1k-2k they charge £149. They want to see first fix then completion at which time they want to see all the certification and test results.
If you use meteor (forum sponsors) you can get the customer to pay for all materials at retail cost and meteor will send you a cheque for the difference between trade and retail. This will keep the 'value' of the job down.
5 jobs in a year x £84 = less than your first years elecsa / napit subscription
This assumes that you can be regarded as 'competent' with your existing levels of qualification

well, the sharks in my LABC want £200 out of a £300 CU change. what a complete cock-up this part p is. no consistency whatever.

They are still providing the installation certificate for someone else's work. The certificates belong to the holder and the Part P would have to be provided by them. You could sub contract, legally the way out.[/QUOTE

Is EIC a three part Design,Installation and inspection&testing?
so what wrong if you sighn your part of design and installation and the inspector its part.

Last edited:
Is EIC a three part Design,Installation and inspection&testing?
so what wrong if you sighn your part of design and installation and the inspector its part.

What's wrong, is that you cannot "sign off" any part of notifiable work at all unless you are a member of a Part P scheme.
You can inform LBC in advance, get a first fix inspection, do the work, do the tests and THEN get LBC to sign it off....

Last edited:
well, the sharks in my LABC want £200 out of a £300 CU change. what a complete cock-up this part p is. no consistency whatever.

The figures my LABC quoted are for a competent person to design, install and test with them just signing off the work and, though not welcome, the fee level is 'moderate'. The £200 you quote sounds like it covers them testing as well which is only required if the tester is not deemed competent ie a diy orange shed job. Not suggesting that you are not deemed as competent (obviously not), more questioning if they do not properly understand their duties. Of course they could be covering their backs or they could well be sharks

What's wrong, is that you cannot "sign off" any part of notifiable work at all unless you are a member of a Part P scheme.
You can inform LBC in advance, get a first fix inspection, do the work, do the tests and THEN get LBC to sign it off....

Only the inspector have to do the first fix inspection and second fix inspection and testing and sign off the work and notify the LABC .
The designer and installer just have to comply with part P.

With my LBC, the standard charge is £180 to make the electrical installation application which includes filing the application, site visit after 1st fix, then sign-off visit when completed. The officer does not test, just inspects that all is in order (much like any BC application).

Only the inspector have to do the first fix inspection and second fix inspection and testing and sign off the work and notify the LABC .
The designer and installer just have to comply with part P.

I would disagree here. The electricians guide to the building regs clearly states that ....

"It is not necessary to give prior notification of proposals to carry out electrical installation work in dwellings to Building Control bodies if the work...is carried out by a registered competent enterprise."

It then goes on to say that you, as the registered competent person or enterprise is required to formally declare that the work complies, etc....

The regs do not allow for a non-registered person to do the work and a registered person to sign it off without prior notification to the LBC

Reply to Clear up my questions on "signing off" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net