Close Call | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Close Call in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
On a job today where I have to change DB in the near future for a bigger board. Domestic situation, DB is not easily accessible and is situated in downstairs cloak room with PV inverter and meter alongside which was installed in the last 3 - 4 years. Existing DB is approx 20 odd years old, MK sentry with the Siemens breakers. No room to work ladder as toilet in way so standing on crate and wondering to myself why was there a cable feeding into both sides of PV mcb and no apparent connection to the bus bar? Anyway managed to gain a little height and I could see that the supply to the PV mcb was fed off the incoming side of the RCD incomer. So had I switched off the PV Isolator and tripped the rcd and carried on working on the DB the PV mcb would still have been live!!
The firm that installed it are coming back to the job shortly to install a bio mass boiler I think I will have a little word in the Boss's ear.
The moral of the story is never take anything for granted.

Patrick

The moral of the story is never take anything for granted.

Quite.

Putting up some new PIR LED floods on the outside of a house that's been re-rendered, so the old lights were already removed some time ago.

A couple of the lights were supplied by a 3 core & earth emerging from the wall. I had assumed:
Red, line
Blue, neutral
Yellow, switched line
Uninsulated, CPC

But no, it turns out that whoever installed them originally (I suspect a DIY job) had cut off the uninsulated core at the switch and used the yellow core as the CPC.

Reply to Close Call in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net