code 3 or no code | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss code 3 or no code in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
a non ip rated gu10 above bath ok its out the zone but what about external influences would you code it or not was thinking of code 3

If you think about it the "zones" aspect to IP lights is a really stupid interpretation!

Whatever the height, if a non ip rated lamp blows, gravity will "ensure" the debris ends up on the floor or in the bath or shower. In this respect IP rated lights should really be a must in a bathroom, irrespective of the height IMHO

If you think about it the "zones" aspect to IP lights is a really stupid interpretation!

Whatever the height, if a non ip rated lamp blows, gravity will "ensure" the debris ends up on the floor or in the bath or shower. In this respect IP rated lights should really be a must in a bathroom, irrespective of the height IMHO

I am constantly naked in every room of my house. Shall i IP the lot? :leaving: :lol:

If it is near the bath/shower, and halogen - i.e. hot, then C3 for me, both for risk of hot glass, also waving arms about (with towel). But if LED lamp is fitted and not hot, probably no code.

If it is near the bath/shower, and halogen - i.e. hot, then C3 for me, both for risk of hot glass, also waving arms about (with towel). But if LED lamp is fitted and not hot, probably no code.

Same applies anywhere...if you are in the kitchen and a load of hot glass drops into your hair....dinner(!!) or any where else it's just as bad. I understand where you are coming from but IMO the only consideration as far as an EICR is concerned is does it comply with regulations. Bringing personal opinions into EICR's is why two experienced electricians carrying out a report on the same installation may end up with two different reports. If the only consideration is compliance with regulations that would be less likely.

Same applies anywhere...if you are in the kitchen and a load of hot glass drops into your hair....dinner(!!) or any where else it's just as bad. I understand where you are coming from but IMO the only consideration as far as an EICR is concerned is does it comply with regulations. Bringing personal opinions into EICR's is why two experienced electricians carrying out a report on the same installation may end up with two different reports. If the only consideration is compliance with regulations that would be less likely.

I've seen more than once 50W halogen GU10s above the side of a bath, but just out of zone 2, slightly higher than 2.25m above FFL. To my mind they are not suitable for the location - when stepping out of the bath, you might well touch a hot lamp, if waving bare arms about (as one does, with a towel). In theory they just comply with regs, but to my mind they present a risk for this reason. Plus there is a risk of splashing the hot glass with water from a shower, causing the hot glass to shatter.

I think this is different to other rooms, and the main reason why I'd give them a code in this case.

Good debate this. It shows things aren't always black and white. Nice to see a good discussion involving different points of view but with no offensiveness. Daz

Some fittings have exposed GU10 lamps, some fittings have the lamps behind a glass plate (maybe 20mm). The occasions where I have given a code - in a bathroom, just above/outside zone 2 - have been fittings with no protective glass plate.

It does get hot, but the lamp is approx 20mm away from the fittings glass.

So what?

I was making the point of when was the ip rating of said downlight and how hot it may get related regarding zones?

If outside of zones then for me its no code but will add a comment in the observations if the said downlight obviously shows signs that steam etc had caused corrosion to the fitting.

So what?

I was making the point of when was the ip rating of said downlight and how hot it may get related regarding zones?

If outside of zones then for me its no code but will add a comment in the observations if the said downlight obviously shows signs that steam etc had caused corrosion to the fitting.

I think some common sense needs applying, regardless of whether it strictly warrants a code. The downlight may be directly above the shower head and at 2.3m so, yes, it is out of any zones, but in my mind a halogen lamp at 200°C or whatever they are, at the range is not great.

I would code 3 it every day of the week. There are shades of grey in life.....its not all black and white...

Reply to code 3 or no code in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net