Combi with zone valves!!! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Combi with zone valves!!! in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tom W

Hi guys, first ever post, so here goes.

Been connecting a heating system today in an extension we have been carrying out. Worcester Bosch Combi with 2 x new valves, one for existing radiators, one for new under floor heating throughout the ground floor.
The ufh system is Upinor which has it's own wiring centre, programmer and 3 x stats for the 3 x ufh zones.
This has all been connected as instructions and one phone call to Upinor!

My problem however is the rad's, when I turned it on, all seemed ok. but just as I was leaving the property, the client pointed out to me that the heating was set at 15 degrees, therefore 'off', but guess what, the boiler was running and heating was pumping out of the rad's. I know that in my box of connections I have obviously connected a live feed to the brown of the radiator zone valve. But all I have connected to this terminal is my switch live from my wireless stat receiver box.
Can anyone advise?

Are the valves connected exactly as they would be in an s plan( grey - perm live, orange - s live to bolier, brown - live from stat)

Micro switch stuck between grey and orange on valve, but this would be a bit odd as its new valve.What make is the wireless thermostat and two port valve?

Last edited:
was the UFH calling and rad valve open on manual?

if system has been tested for correct operation (which it probably hasn't if this fault was only noticed by the client) then the valve would have unlatched itself the first time it opened electrically.

I should know better to be honest I wire enough of these things, but 4 hour drive back from London on top of my days work has fuddled the head.

But it also says ' but all I have connected to this terminal is my switch live from my wireless stat receiver box' also if he knows that he has a perm live connected to the brown of the valve why would he posting this thread in the first place.

if he knows that he has a perm live connected to the brown of the valve why would he posting this thread in the first place.

Who knows, but if the fault didn't get noticed when testing the correct operation of the controls and only got picked up by the client then it doesn't paint a good picture of his knowledge of the system

Who knows, but if the fault didn't get noticed when testing the correct operation of the controls and only got picked up by the client then it doesn't paint a good picture of his knowledge of the system
Good point! I can't really see it being a dodgy valve as it supposed to be brand new, so must be his wiring.

It does sound like a wiring error, it always amazes me that these errors occur though. I had one earlier this year where the underfloor had never worked properly for years and all because the original installer left it with a backfeed. The controller had a second volt feed output which was all that was required to cure the backfeed issue.

I went to have a look at a s-plan the other week,that another sparks had messed up he had connected both valves brown perm live and grey switched live. He was there for hours scratching his head why the boiler was constantly firing lol.

Grab your voltage indicator and make sure the you haven't accidentally wired the permanent live Into the pump. I've done it before and so has everyone else it's just a silly mistake WE ALL MAKE. I once connected 8 dual zone combo hearings in a day and got a few wrong. No biggy mate. It it's wired right check the room stat or the boiler you might have the wrong sw wire to the boiler.

Grab your voltage indicator and make sure the you haven't accidentally wired the permanent live Into the pump. I've done it before and so has everyone else it's just a silly mistake WE ALL MAKE. I once connected 8 dual zone combo hearings in a day and got a few wrong. No biggy mate. It it's wired right check the room stat or the boiler you might have the wrong sw wire to the boiler.

I haven't lol

I have made mistakes occasionally, but have always found them when testing the system.

It became a running joke that I couldn't wire a pump properly a few years ago, it turned out Worcester CDi boilers were leaving the factory with the connector plug for the pump fitted backwards. I had connected the pump live and refitted the plug the way I found it, it was only after looking carefully at the diagram in the manual that it became clear the plug was the wrong way round.

every 1 makes mistakes, and like you say dave about testing the system to rectify the mistake. I would be embarrassed if the customer had to point it out 2 me like what happened to the OP.

Reply to Combi with zone valves!!! in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net