Commercial work on a Domestic scheme. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Commercial work on a Domestic scheme. in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rob121

Was talking to a mate a little while ago who mentioned that you can still carry out commercial work when your only registered with a domestic scheme as commercial work does not come under part P. He mentioned that he just issued green (NIC) certificates for all his commercial work. Is this right? He also said the same about periodic inspection. Hes been on PI courses and was paying the extra money to NIC to be able to do it, but doesnt now as hes under the impression he doesnt need to.

Just wondering what your views are on this?

Rob

You can do any electrical work.industrial,commercial domestic, without being a member of any scheme

In the domestic sector there is procedure for notifiable work, it comes under building reg part p,it makes registration something to consider money wise
For Commercial and Industrial and Pirs, there may be "client requirements"where the client may want an Niceic piece of paper as the certification.other than that there are no restrictions on anybody having a crack at anything

It depends if the commercial work shares a supply with living accomodation such as a flat etc, ie small shop ground floor flat above. Its my understanding that this will then come under part P. But a 100% commercial or industrial installations are not under part P. hope this helps

Thats handy to know. Was debating whether to pay the extra to be an approved contractor but couldnt justify it as I only ever get asked to work on small single phase workshops, toilets blocks etc. So how can the governing bodies charge so much extra to be able to sign off commercial work? The only advantage I can think of is having the insurance backed warranty.

Nikmet, thats a good point, but surely if you was registered on a part P scheme then there wouldnt be an issue?

Thanks for your replies!

Rob

So how can the governing bodies charge so much extra to be able to sign off commercial work?

I think you are being a bit over generous calling these self interested scams "governing bodies"
They are governing, in the sense that they govern their members actions,but I expect it wasn't intended in the context of rules and standards governing the electrical industry

There is only one body that could have that accolade of governing body in that context,the compilers of the book IEE wiring regulations,although the Niceic sometimes like to fantasise that they do
icon7.png

Thats handy to know. Was debating whether to pay the extra to be an approved contractor but couldnt justify it as I only ever get asked to work on small single phase workshops, toilets blocks etc. So how can the governing bodies charge so much extra to be able to sign off commercial work? The only advantage I can think of is having the insurance backed warranty.

Nikmet, thats a good point, but surely if you was registered on a part P scheme then there wouldnt be an issue?

Thanks for your replies!

Rob

Correct, if your registered on scheme no issue, but LABC fees if your not registered are VERY high, have them out to 2 jobs and you may as well have registered

your telling me, just had to pay for 2 for my NIC assessment, one was £208 other was £240. £448! and one of the jobs was one socket on its own circuit for checking my tester monthly. I dont think i will be installing one socket at that expense ever again....I hope!

Reply to Commercial work on a Domestic scheme. in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net