concreting earth rods | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss concreting earth rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

When in stalling earth rods is there a requirement to concrete them and there enclosure in?

The pit needs to be fixed mate but I've always driven rods into soil so I'm going to say no on that one. There is Ufer earthing but there's guys on here, specifically E54 and Malcolm, who know far more about that than me

See that the same as myself the rods get smashed into soil but never had the pleasure of installing an enclosure..

No, you never concrete in, if your talking about a standard rod installation. You should be installing a concrete or heavy duty plastic earth pit over the rod to ground level. This provides protection to the rod+cable connection and gives a visual indication of the rods location... Some rod installation ARE concreted in, but it will be with a special conductive mortar, and you need to have a bored 75mm dia (or more) hole that the rod is dropped in. An alternative to conductive concrete is Bentonite which is a conductive clay, that holds on to water/moisture for extended periods of time.

Reply to concreting earth rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net