Conduit in Metal Agricultural building | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Conduit in Metal Agricultural building in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robbo_blah

Hi,

I have been asked to wire up some sockets and lighting into a metal construction agricultural shed (5mx15m). This shed is only to be used for storage (no livestock), however, it will have moving machinery inside. I am happy with all the regulations except one: Do I need to run metal conduit or even conduit at all for the socket/lighting as added mechanical protection? or can i just hide the cabling behind the steel girders?

Also does anybody have any experience on the best way of fixing the cabling/equipment in a shed of this type of construction?

Thanks for any advice!

Mick

You don't ''Have'' to use metal conduit, but if there is moving machinery within this building it would be advisable!! There are several different fixing methods/accessories for conduit being run in steel framed structures!! Look around to see what's available to suit your building fabrication needs!! ...

Caddy clips spring to mind.
They do a number of differnt clips, that clip on to the steel work, and hold either conduit or cables.

I've seen cables supported by some of these conduit clip arrangements and they don't work too well. After a relatively short time, cables tend to sag if not enough clips are used and looks a right mess of an installation. ...This probably because they are a lot more expensive to provide than cable clips. Very economical however when used with conduit runs. ..lol!!!

That is a fair comment, and I have often wondered that.
In larger building say from 15'-18' to the eaves, I couldnt see rats getting up there. You can soon tell by looking around the yard at the likley rat population. Especially with the amount of farm assurance about now a days. The cables/ circuits lower to the ground I would put in conduit, light circuits I just clip to the steel work. I would be interested to see from others how they do it. What sort of lights are you useing, are they IP rated?

I’ve had cables chewed through 120’ foot up in the air by rats (I think). How the hell they lived up there god alone knows, probably on the dead pigeons. The little buggers will get anywhere!

guys,

Much appreciate all the helpful advice. It is true that vermin exist within farms, although I am no expert on how far up walls they can travel. I will put it to the customer that the 'regs' do not stipulate the use of conduit, however, it is advisable based on machinery/vermin damage. If course IP rated equipment will most likely be used due to fine particles in the air (we dont want any explosions!!).

I guess his decision will come down to the cost, although as someone said, its always possible to do the lower stuff with conduit and leave the lighting to cable runs!

I will check out some of these clips mentioned and see if they are any good, I am not looking forward to having to potentially 'drill' steel girders to clamp cables to :| so any alternative would be a god-send no matter what the cost!! lol

if cost becomes an issue ask if he is in atlas fram group its a buyers pool our farm is and we get great discounts at loads of places,bought a new cordless at elex yesterday and the company deal with atlas so got an even better price on what was already a great deal

Reply to Conduit in Metal Agricultural building in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net