Connecting old rubber cables to new twin brown at a 1gang 2 way switch. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Connecting old rubber cables to new twin brown at a 1gang 2 way switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vicks141

DIY
Reaction score
Hello please don't shoot me down its my first ever DIY post/question online. Recently updated upstairs to new regulation cables

The problem I have is at the hallway light. It's a 1 gang 2 way switch. The cables that come from downstairs are the old rubber ones. 2 of the them. They were in l1 and l2 on the previous switch.

So I have now at the switch ended up with a twin brown (Coming from the hallway light live and switched live) and 2 cables from the downstairs switch. Is there anyway to connect it so I can switch the upstairs hallway light on from downstairs again. Will just temporarily untill I get the downstairs cabling done.

Another option is to make the light wireless but did not want to bury the transmitter underneath the loft boards only to lift up again to change it back.

I understand there might be a transmitter I can put in the downstairs back box to transmit to the upstairs switch.

Thank you, any advice is appreciated. Have tried to post a pic up no luck loading.

Hello please don't shoot me down its my first ever DIY post/question online. Recently updated upstairs to new regulation cables

The problem I have is at the hallway light. It's a 1 gang 2 way switch. The cables that come from downstairs are the old rubber ones. 2 of the them. They were in l1 and l2 on the previous switch.

So I have now at the switch ended up with a twin brown (Coming from the hallway light live and switched live) and 2 cables from the downstairs switch. Is there anyway to connect it so I can switch the upstairs hallway light on from downstairs again. Will just temporarily untill I get the downstairs cabling done.

Another option is to make the light wireless but did not want to bury the transmitter underneath the loft boards only to lift up again to change it back.

I understand there might be a transmitter I can put in the downstairs back box to transmit to the upstairs switch.

Thank you, any advice is appreciated. Have tried to post a pic up no luck loading.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Connecting old rubber cables to new twin brown at a 1gang 2 way switch.
    172467364280460717944832710223.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
A two way switch, (one light being controlled by two switches) should have minimum 3 wires at it. A common, L1 and L2. ( some switches refer to them as other names like L1,L2,L3… but the operation is the same.)

Are you sure you took out an old twin and earth cable? It wasn’t a 3 core and earth?

It was wired old style when the house was built. I think it was just a common/live I pulled out. The cables coming downstairs switch were in l1 and l2. I just put in the new twin brown recently (from ceiling light). There were no 3 cores in that switch.

Thanks for your reply.

Often in old wiring, live to the downstairs switch, then in twin (or twin & earth) the two switched lives to the upstairs switch, and a single switched live from the upstairs switch to the fitting. Or some variation on this. The L & N might have been on separate circuits.

Reply to Connecting old rubber cables to new twin brown at a 1gang 2 way switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net