Connecting programmer to warmup underfloor heating | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Connecting programmer to warmup underfloor heating in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kester_holmes

Apologies if this is not the right place for this post.

New build extension with electric Warm Up brand underfloor heating in 1 room; about 6m which I think is only about 750w. Electrician connected temporarily via an 13A fused switch (there is also a circuit breaker on consumer unit). There are L, N & E wires coming from consumer unit and same L, N & E from heating element/col. The switch has 6 terminals and connects mains to heater wiring, so activating switch turns heating on (obviously ;)).

I want to replace the switch with a programmer to switch heating on and off at certain times, or may have to connect programmer in series with switch. The programmer (Sunvic TLX 6501)has instructions for standard 2 wire connection; says connect Live to terminal COM, and heater to terminal NO.

Could someone help me understand the appropriate wiring I need.

My thought is to join (via appropriate connector block) the mains Live to heater live, and same for mains earth and heater earth. And then connect either end of the heater Neutral to programmer terminal NO and mains Neutral to programmer COM. Presumably the circit would then be normally OPEN, but become complete and pass current through heater coil when programmer activated (i.e. ON time occurs)?

Can anyone tell me if this is the right approach?

ta
Kester

Apologies if this is not the right place for this post.

New build extension with electric Warm Up brand underfloor heating in 1 room; about 6m which I think is only about 750w. Electrician connected temporarily via an 13A fused switch (there is also a circuit breaker on consumer unit). There are L, N & E wires coming from consumer unit and same L, N & E from heating element/col. The switch has 6 terminals and connects mains to heater wiring, so activating switch turns heating on (obviously ;)).

I want to replace the switch with a programmer to switch heating on and off at certain times, or may have to connect programmer in series with switch. The programmer (Sunvic TLX 6501)has instructions for standard 2 wire connection; says connect Live to terminal COM, and heater to terminal NO.

Could someone help me understand the appropriate wiring I need.

My thought is to join (via appropriate connector block) the mains Live to heater live, and same for mains earth and heater earth. And then connect either end of the heater Neutral to programmer terminal NO and mains Neutral to programmer COM. Presumably the circit would then be normally OPEN, but become complete and pass current through heater coil when programmer activated (i.e. ON time occurs)?

Can anyone tell me if this is the right approach?

ta
Kester

Do not connect as you have described as you are switching the neutral to the heater.

You should leave existing switch for isolation and then connect from this into the live, neutral and earth connections in your programmer. Connect the neutral to your heater in along with incoming neutral.
Connect the live to your heater into your N/O connection.
Link a cable from your live connection to the Com connection.

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/documentation/datasheets/TLX6501_install.pdf

Firstly...Never switch a neutral. On that basis you should get an electrician to do the job.

This is what he would probably do: so you can check...;)

Isolate power at consumers unit!

Assuming the electrician has taken the supply from a 32A socket ring.
Keep the 13A switched fused spur.
Change rating of fuse to 6A

loop to timer...in series as you mentioned.

connector block neutrals..... if no neutral neutral terminals..but sure there must be!
connector block earth ..... if no earth terminals

connect timer terminals:
  1. Live from 6A fuse
  2. live to heater mat
  3. no connection
Hope this helps. I am sure there will be many more replys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for your replies. I should have added the link to the install manual, thanks for linking to it.

DOH silly me, of course I shouldn't switch the neutral; it should be the live! As you say probably I should get an electrician to do the job :)

Yes if there were neutral and earth terminals on programmer then it would be more obvious how to connect, but dont think it is typically designed to be wired direct in series?

presume I'll go with your conenctor block solution on Neutral and earths.

Yes this programmer uses 2 AA batteries so it doesnt use mains power to opperate. Hence no connections for mains.
Its really just a timmed switch of the live.
I am sure you got it figured by now!
Cheers

Reply to Connecting programmer to warmup underfloor heating in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net