Connecting up new cooker help.... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Connecting up new cooker help.... in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Casper53

Hi all.

Young apprentice here! I have been roped into replacing a family members old cooker for a new one. Iam easy with the supply/load from the spur. But clueless when it comes to the hob and cooker lid? Is there stuff to do ther? And if so were do the supplys come from or is it just a case of connecting up what comes with the cooker?

Any help aprreciated. Thanks :)

you will find a terminal block covered by a metal plate on the back of the cooker. L/N/E. 6mm to conn.unit. job done.dunno wtat you mean by cooker lid though.

you will find a terminal block covered by a metal plate on the back of the cooker. L/N/E. 6mm to conn.unit. job done.dunno wtat you mean by cooker lid though.

Thank you. Just flapping i think about lid, heard someone speak about it once! So you think all i'l need to take is cutting of 6mm ?

you should be able to re-use the 6mm off the ols cooker. just dis. at the cooker and connect in new cooker. isolate at CU MCB, not just in kitchen. if the existing cable is not usable, just buy 2m 6mm T/E.

Last edited:
you mentioned hob and cooker are these seperate or a combined unit as this could make a differance to the cable size and loadings

Casper check the kW rating, there are some very powerful cookers and hobs these days. Telectrix mentioned the connections in the cooker, the hob will have something similar. you may need a special tool like a torx bit to connect, if you do just buy a multi bit set from screwfix or wickes.

Cheers............Howard

Casper check the kW rating, there are some very powerful cookers and hobs these days. Telectrix mentioned the connections in the cooker, the hob will have something similar. you may need a special tool like a torx bit to connect, if you do just buy a multi bit set from screwfix or wickes.

Cheers............Howard

Thanks. The hob bit was the bit I don't really get, Do you just need to lift one of the hobs till you find the terminations for them all?

he means. is it one lump, cooker and hob as one unit or is it an oven with a separate hob. if the latter , it will come in 2 boxes.

Oh how I forget what it is like to be young!!!!!
Most cookers used to come as one unit with the oven and the hob (the rings for putting pans on) physically connected together. These had one termination point for the power.
It sound like you have a seperate oven that fits under the worktop and a hob that sits into the worktop. If this is what you have then there will be seperate connections.

Check power/watt rating of cooker to see what it's pulling and divide that sum by 230 to see what the current will be. 6mm cable may not be sufficient.

no one has asked is it a electric hob and electric oven or gas hob or fan oven (they can use a lot less power) and at the moment if u turn off isolator dose the oven and hob go of or just oven

does the oven and hob come in two separate parts ?, if so you will need to find out what each part will pull and do your calculations accordingly before attempting this, dont just fit it with what you got from the old cooker do it correctly and it will help you learn

Might just quickly jump on the back of this despite its an old post...

Ive just been asked to change a cooker swtich in anticipation of a new induction hob...havnt been to the job yet as im not due to go and inspect till tuesday morning but was curious as to why i may need to change the switch at all? If it is the case like casper has where by the oven is now in two parts, are both parts still terminated within the same connection unit...wouldnt that be a touch crowded. Provided the new hob is rated the same as the existing...surely i dont need to change anything just install the new unit into the existing fixtures.

you will have to check the rating of the hob and oven, apply diversity and see if the existing circuit is OK for the load. then might be advisabe to fit a double connection unit.

What a mssive noob, scratch my comment. Having just spent a second to think about that (which i should have done before i started typing), i would imagine instead i would have to in fact install a seperate cicrcuit for each - cooker/hob. BUT would i put them both on seperate switches?

Reply to Connecting up new cooker help.... in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net