connection to the national grid | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss connection to the national grid in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lynnandrob

hi guys

im hoping someone on here can help me
we have just bought a house in lincolnshire that is not connected to the national grid and we need to find out the cheapest way to get connected.we contacted western power distribution and they quoted us £60,000 for the work.but we are hoping there is a cheaper way or a cheaper company to get the work done as £60,000 is way more than we can afford at the moment.the property will only need single phase and is on a country lane,the nearest neighbour with electricity is .5 k away.and their properties are supplied by overhead power cables on telegraph poles.
any help would be great

rob

hi guys

im hoping someone on here can help me
we have just bought a house in lincolnshire that is not connected to the national grid and we need to find out the cheapest way to get connected.we contacted western power distribution and they quoted us £60,000 for the work.but we are hoping there is a cheaper way or a cheaper company to get the work done as £60,000 is way more than we can afford at the moment.the property will only need single phase and is on a country lane,the nearest neighbour with electricity is .5 k away.and their properties are supplied by overhead power cables on telegraph poles.
any help would be great

rob

hi just happen to come across this thread without mor info i think because of distance looks like you may be stuck with that kind of figure to get on grid,however depending on your budget look at a standalone pv system and generate your own ,depending on the size of array you could possibly be self efficient on electric also look at solar thermal pvt systems for hot water aswell

hi just happen to come across this thread without mor info i think because of distance looks like you may be stuck with that kind of figure to get on grid,however depending on your budget look at a standalone pv system and generate your own ,depending on the size of array you could possibly be self efficient on electric also look at solar thermal pvt systems for hot water aswell

And a load of batteries if you fancy electric at night. ...................

Unfortunately there are only one set of companies that can hook you up to the Grid and that is the Distributed Network companies themselves, it's there ball their game ...............

You can offer though to dig the trenches, lay ducting for the cable, and they may allow you to get a contractor to run the cable in for you.

You need to have a good sit down and discussion with them though and see what they will or will not let you do

Ps, thats amazing actually Lynnandrob, you must be in one helluva remote spot.... whereabouts in Lincs are you? Know it quite well grew up in Spalding, grandparents in mablethorpe, great county loads of unspoilt bits

Unfortunately they have you by the proverbial !
It does sound about right for a half a km run and new transformer if that is what is being quoted for ?
They quoted me £120,000+VAT + a possible 20% extra for a 1 km run and transformer for block of land i had in Bucks and that was some 8 years ago now .
There should be bits on the quote that you can sub out to other appropriately registered contractors , these are known as the contestable parts , but even so it is still going to hurt !
You may want to look at other technologies ( not just PV and solar thermal ) , if you do please feel free to pm me and maybe i can help ?

Dave

Tel do Denmans do those antimatter things cheaper if you buy three?

No I did ask them once but i think they had not sorted out a stock number for the at the time ?:willy_nilly:
So had to settle with just your standard flux capacitor valve from newies , which was not really man enough to be honest !:disappointed:

Direct grid connection would give less volt-drop along the cable. Then 33kV glanded into an adaptable box and into a small transformer. Remember 33kV rated choc blocks, or just use alternate terminals to give greater gap. Might need fine-tuning this idea. Daz

why not ring your friendly local pikey maybe he can hook you up cheap,lampost perhaps?

thanks for the replies,
what is a pv array?
we were thinking of using solar panels but the house has gable ends facing south/north and the slopes are east/west facing so not best suited for solar power,it sits on a .5 acre square plot (45mtr/50mtr on each boundary) with the house in the north east corner.
thought of wind power but the site i went on said the area was not suitable for a wind turbine(dont know why cause its windy as hell down there)mayby is because theres too much wind and it damages the turbines.
western power said the nearest substation/conection point was .5k away from the property and quoted me from that point to the house.
the house use to run of a diesel generator until some toe rags nicked it along with the central heating & everything that wasnt concreted down.
i now have a generator that gives nothing but trouble and is going to be expensive to run (when its running right)then theres the diesel theivs and the possiblity of loosing a grands worth of diesel in one night.hense looking for the cheapest way to get on the grid.

does anyone know if there are any grants out there to help with my problem???????

thanks again

Reply to connection to the national grid in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net