conservatory help | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss conservatory help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mars6394

Hi all i have recently just picked up a conservatory to wire ie normal riong main setup/lighting.The problem is he has a pond pump,pond lighting and outside lighting,

The client wants the pond pump and pond lighting on one switch which i am going to install a fcu switched onto the ringmain but he wants the outside lights on there own switch seperate from the pond pump/pond lighting.

Am i in the right to add 2x fcu next to each other providing they are supplied off the ring main and run 2x armoured cables supplying lighting,pump 1x to outside lighting.

or shall i just put the pump/lighting on the fcu unit.and run a 1.5mm from the main lighting point and joint up outside to the armoured supplying the outside light

many thanks if you could help me with this as i seem to have baffled/confused myself thinking too into it.

no rerason not to fit 2 FCUs as you suggest, as long as they are fused according to the cables used and loading .

thanks for your reply guys is there no regulation regarding how many spurs are fitted on a ring main or am i confusing myself with spuring off a socket

They're outside so they require to be rcd protected. Bear in mind also that pump circuits and other outside circuits are more prone to earth fault problems purely because they are outside operating in diverse weather conditions so if there are problems in the may lose the entire ring circuit if all are fed from it. Suggest separate circuitry then you are providing adequate advice.

You can only spur one point from each socket on the ring, or you can fit a joint box on a section of cable (splitting a ring leg) at spur from that point or you can spur from the consumer unit ring terminals on the protective device (which would be stupid if a spare way was available).

the new ring main circuit is going to be rcd protected,also the 2x spurs will be wired on the ring ie both have 2 cables into them on the ring circuit as i wire it.which will then have a armoured cable ran into each spur 1 supplying the ouside lights and one spur supplying the pond pump/lights.or shall i pull in a new circuit for all the outside stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I know what your doing, you've explained it well enough, it will work and the key thing is that you've got it rcd protected. I'm just pointing out that if the ring, the pump, the pond lights or the outside lights develop an earth fault you will lose 'all' of the circuit components, i.e. no ring, no pump, no pond lights and no outside lights so you'll have these 4 circuit 'parts' to investigate to find the fault, whereas if they were on separate circuits you would only lose the faulty circuit making fault finding very easy and the installation ultimately safer.

To be honest, althought your initial idea will work and be safe, it is considered by some to be a bit of a 'cowboy' method, dedicated circuits are the answer especially when insdie and outside the premises is concerned.

They're outside so they require to be rcd protected. Bear in mind also that pump circuits and other outside circuits are more prone to earth fault problems purely because they are outside operating in diverse weather conditions so if there are problems in the may lose the entire ring circuit if all are fed from it. Suggest separate circuitry then you are providing adequate advice.

Do they?? Why do lights, and a pump need RCD protection, the cable might have to have it, the circuit might have to have it if the system is TT

Reply to conservatory help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net