Cooker and Induction Hob on Dual Cooker Outlet | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cooker and Induction Hob on Dual Cooker Outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fury84

Hi guys, firstpost here and would be really grateful for some clarification:

I am helping a friend install his new kitchen which includes installing a newoven and induction hob (links below).The existing oven was on a dedicated radial circuit with 6mm twin andearth cable, 32 amp breaker and cooker isolation switch.

The total loadrating of the hob is 4.6kw and the oven 3.68kw.I have been advised that allowing for diversity the existing cable is sufficientand to use a dual cooker outlet plate to connect the oven and hob.
The only aspectI am struggling to understand is what stops the hob or oven trying to pull thefull 32 amps in the event of a fault if the appliance is switched off?I’m guessing neither are designed to drawsuch amperage and with the breaker not triggering the full load is exceeded, would the hob or oven notpotentially catch fire?

Your inputwould be much appreciated.
Andy

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis ...age_loaded

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis ...age_loaded

Last edited by a moderator:
it's fine as it stands. dual outlet is the way to go. a fault would cause a current large enough to trip the 32A MCB.

Wow, quick response. Thank you.

Could I ask one further question; what cable is needed toconnect the oven and induction hob to the cooker outlet? I’m guessing this would need to be rated for32 amps?

4.68 kW seem a bit small for a induction hob?
but I agrees its tel in real life use it will be fine.
ive been doing some scientific research in chez dc with my own induction hob and owl meter monitor.
what I've found is when on boost ( not very often ) it takes the power of 2 zones about 4-5kw.
on normal operation iabout half way it takes around 1.5kw a zone constantly
each unit on the scale seems to drop/ raise it by 200w
they do not work like a conventional hob where the simmer stat cuts all power once it's hot enough and then brings all that power back on when it's needed

Wow, quick response. Thank you.

Could I ask one further question; what cable is needed toconnect the oven and induction hob to the cooker outlet?I’m guessing this would need to be rated for32 amps?[/QUOT

heat resistant 4.0mm is ideal, but you should ferrule the ends at the outlet. fit appropriate ferrules/crimps at appliance ends if necessary. other wise, just use 6mm T/E.

Reply to Cooker and Induction Hob on Dual Cooker Outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net