Cooker connection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cooker connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Cat

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been phoned up by an old customer. She says her cooker has gone faulty so she ordered a new one.

When it was delivered they were going to fit it but said they could'nt because the cable from CCU to the oven was not in trunking and i think she said they have asked for a cooker outlet plate.

They say this is the new regulation, i have never heard of this. Does any one else know? Maybe just did not want to connect it as near home time!

don't hink it's a new reg. but feeding direct from isolator to cooker without an outlet plate is deffo. bad practice. get your toolbox round there and earn a few quid.

These Argos/Currys fitters seem to use any excuse not to fit cookers/ovens. On top of that they usually charge about £20 to take away the old one.

IMO no outlet plate is a potentially dangerous thing as someone could disconnect the cooker and leave the bare ends of the cable. If the switch is put on deliberately or accidentally you have exposed live conductors. Mind you, you could say the same thing about the lead to a storage heater or immersion.

These Argos/Currys fitters seem to use any excuse not to fit cookers/ovens. On top of that they usually charge about £20 to take away the old one.

IMO no outlet plate is a potentially dangerous thing as someone could disconnect the cooker and leave the bare ends of the cable. If the switch is put on deliberately or accidentally you have exposed live conductors. Mind you, you could say the same thing about the lead to a storage heater or immersion.

You could still disconnect cooker and leave live ends with an outlet plate! Still another few quid in the coffers!

Yep the problem is Argos/Currys although I am not complaining as the said there was no switch for the new electric hob that they were fitting so I asked the customer what the setup was and he said gas hob electric oven and he was taking out the gas hob to replace it with a electric plus he was kind enough to send a picture of the kitchen as he took it when he bought the flat as he was renting it out . I thought it was odd that a 10 year old flat did not have a CCU. Anyway looked at the pic and yep a CCU. So I went to the job and found the 2kw oven connected straight into the CCU outlet and a switched fuse spur feeding the gas hob igniter. So I moved the oven to the SFCU and fitted a 6mm tail into the CCU outlet ready for the hob job done .

Only problem was the tenant bitched that he did not have any matches for the hob (as he lost the igniter) so I said calm down I will go out and get you some and jings what a bl**dy job I had get the matches.

Anyway the day after Currys phoned me and said are you sure there is a switch / connection for the hob I said no I am positive there is a switch and outlet plus there is a tail fitted and the circuit isolated so all your guy had to do is fit and connect the new hob and again he said are you sure because our guy said.......... I stopped him and said well your guy aint a spark because if he was he would have done what I did so before you start prodding away here dont make me ask if your guy is certified to do the job. And that was the end of the conversation so in this case yes thy did not have a clue but i got paid well for an hours work

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cooker connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net