Cowboys kicked off site | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cowboys kicked off site in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Got a call from the boss to go and have a look at some kitchen sockets that are no longer working. The home owner greeted me on the driveway and before I could say hello he says :- "right, let me fill you in. I picked up an electricians business card from Tesco's notice board and got them in to change my c/u. They have been in the void under the house and pulled out this (3 x 2.5mm t+e term blocks, all melted) and now I've got no sockets in the kitchen and the garage and all my frozen food has defrosted." "Let's have a look then, wait a minute where is the new c/u?" I said. "They couldn't get it to work, they called a friend but he was too busy to come and have a look at it so they just put the old 1970's Wylex one back on the wall! I lost confidence in them as it was clear that they didn't have a clue, tools they had was bog standard DIY stuff that you buy from any shed so I told them to leave and didn't pay and called you." I asked to see the business card, two first names with mobile numbers only, no address, no scheme membership and didn't do any testing before starting, cowboys. I asked him what he wanted to be done? Repair the socket circuit, book him in for a PIR prior to a c/u change? "No, just give me a quote for a full house rewire as I believe that is what they were after." A really nice man almost been had by the cowboys but have left him with extention leads all around the house, no cooker, no down stairs sockets and they didn't even bother to try and short it out for him. I offered to do him a temporary fix for the sockets just so he could have power but he declined due to getting it rewired this week. Anyway my boss has quoted him, hope he goes for us just so I know he will get a top job done by me/us. (btw I can no longer do paragraphs ever since the new smilies started on the forum, sorry)

They should do more research but more often than not seem to do none. How many times do you hear "he said he was an electrician".

All they care about is price, not schemes, qualifications, or certificates. Until something goes wrong that is!

Totally agree with drew & london, price is the bottom line for a lot of customers.

Until the public are educated to the same degree regarding part p#ss as they are to the corgi/gas safe regulations cannot see things changing. Think the schemes should get together and at least to try and make the public aware.

Would be more than happy to see my registration fee being put to good use rather than giving me a poxy pen every year.

Regards wa

I don't think it is about price thus time, more likely the case that he just got one quote and doesn't know about schemes etc. He had a list of questions for me so he must have learn his lesson, he asked how long have I been an electrician? How long to become qualified? What grantee will he get? I also told him about scheme providers and if he does not choose mps/us he should check out the company name on the schemes web site.

Reply to Cowboys kicked off site in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net