CU Advise | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss CU Advise in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Simmy2009

Hi Guys,

Looking for a Bit of light on an Issue i have just encountered.
Client had a New CU installed in 2014 ( Plastic) but carried out a Extension where additional circuits were added this was completed This year 2016.

1 Ring main Protected by RCD.
2 Lighting circuit in bathroom protected by RCD.
3 Lighting circuit covering 2 Bedrooms.

Now Building company have went Bust and Electrician refused to sign off his work so the building Warrant can't be completed Stating they required another New CU as it had to be metal to comply with the New Amendment that came into force this year.

Now i might be wrong and this is why i am asking as my understanding would be the CU is still acceptable due to it being installed before the new Reg came into force and the work should have been signed off.

Please can anyone clear this up

Thanks

The regs aren't retrospective so a plastic CU installed in 2014 would not need replacing because extra circuits were added a couple of years later.

Who is stating that a metal CU is required?
Although the work is not completed until Certification is issued, it is the date of design which indicates which edition the work has to comply with.
Technically, the construction of an installation designed to the 16th could be started today and completed after the 18th has come into force.

Who is stating that a metal CU is required?
Although the work is not completed until Certification is issued, it is the date of design which indicates which edition the work has to comply with.
Technically, the construction of an installation designed to the 16th could be started today and completed after the 18th has come into force.

It was the Electrician of the Company who went Bust.
It has come through family to myself and they were asking why it would require to be changed when nothing was highlighted at the time of work.

Personally and my understanding of the amendment is that it doesn't need to be changed. but wanted a bit more Clarification before stating this to them. I think it was the other company just trying to con them out of more cash as there company went under for what ever reasons.

Hi Simmy. Tell whoever is saying you need a new CU to check out the top of page 5 of BS 7671-2008 in which it states:

Introduction to the third amendment, 2015
The third amendment to BS 7671:2008 Requirements for Electrical Installations was issued on 1st January 2015 and

is intended to come into effect on 1st July 2015. Installations designed after 30th June 2015 are to comply with BS

7671:2008 incorporating Amendment 3:2015.

As long as the installation is left in a condition no worse than when the work started and all the new circuits and any altered circuits comply with the most recent BS 7671 then it is my understanding that the board need not be changed. The only reason you would need to put a metal clad CU is if it was a board change itself.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

The extent of works, I assume did not require a consumer unit change and although I am sure some Inspector may advise you to change to one with a metal enclosure there is absolutely no need to. These amendments are turning everyone into a bag of nerves. You will need to complete an Electrical Installation Certificate and there may seem to be a problem with Item 7.4 on the Schedule Of Inspection to go with the Certificate which refers to said consumer unit. But this Schedule only refers to the works carried out so put N/A against it. Check everything is sound within the existing consumer unit and forget about it. Good question though.

No need at all for a metal CU in those circs. If you're finishing up someone else's work though an EICR might be the weapon of choice and not an EIC.

Fair comment skipped my brain he was finishing off another's work. EICR could open up a whole can of worms though.

Reply to CU Advise in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net