Cutout-Meter Head.. who does what? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cutout-Meter Head.. who does what? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CLB

Here's the situation I'm faced with: I've been asked to do the wiring for a new shop fit (it's a brand new building and there is nothing in the unit apart from the incoming 3-phase supply connected to a large box with an on/off switch. British Gas (the energy company the shop tenants have chosen to have as their electricity supplier) have said it is not their responsibility to fit the meter head/cut out fuse and that the consumer unit needs to be on the wall with tails coming from it ready for their engineer to visit to install/connect the meter with an inline isolator between the meter and the c/unit. Whose responsibility is it to provide a 230v feed from the incoming 3-phase supply as I believed that everything on the distribution side belonged to the DNO and/or energy provider, and everything on the consumer side of the isolator is down to me.

Bg should connect from dno fuse to their meter. I usually fit an isolator and the meter guys connect their tails to it. If there is no cu fitted yet then that's the best you can do. Shouldn't be an issue

I had this recently and got ran around the houses,in the end I contacted SP Energy networks,they do supplies in my area,they fitted the meter and gave me an M PAN number to give to BG,apparently nothing gets done without an M pan number.

As Phil says , no M-pan no worky worky ! I am afraid that I think you will find your client will need an agreement in place before you will get any form of a helpful response from the powers that be .

I would think the fact it as a cut out it must already have an Mpan number as it's the dno who issues the Mpan number which identifies the property no matter who is the supplier. The dno is responsible for the supply up to and including the cutout. The supplier is responsible from the tails coming from the cutout, the meter and the tails coming out of the meter. The customer is responsible for the tails going into the main isolator and the rest of the Installation. As said make sure you have an Isolator fitted with tails ready to be connected into the meter when the engineer arrives.

If you ring your DNO they will look up the MPAN for you (you'll need the exact address and postcode). I discovered this the hard way years ago when an office I rented was receiving two different energy bills from two different suppliers....turned out there was another ALMOST identical address and the MPAN's had been doubled over!!

I would think the fact it as a cut out it must already have an Mpan number as it's the dno who issues the Mpan number which identifies the property no matter who is the supplier. The dno is responsible for the supply up to and including the cutout. The supplier is responsible from the tails coming from the cutout, the meter and the tails coming out of the meter. The customer is responsible for the tails going into the main isolator and the rest of the Installation. As said make sure you have an Isolator fitted with tails ready to be connected into the meter when the engineer arrives.

Now I should write it down somewhere every time we do one of these , as my memory seems to get worse day by day . So from memory ! What you have is a msp , you will need ( I think this bit may be dependant on the size of supply required ?) to now sign a contract with a supplier to then be able to gain a mpan ( Meter point administration number ) which will then allow you to have the meter fitted . Now I stand to be corrected on this , but I am sure this is the process we / our clients has gone through on several occasions now !?

Also It is not always the case that customer is responsible for the tails from the meter up to the main isolator as the supplier also sometimes ( Again dependant on the size of supply ) install the main isolator as well .

Saw this on the UK power networks site that details appropriate responsibilities for items of equipment that may be a useful reference.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Cutout-Meter Head.. who does what?

Reply to Cutout-Meter Head.. who does what? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net