Cylinder Stat | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cylinder Stat in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Mate wants a cylinder stat put on cylinder in his new house. Theres seems to be an outlet that may have been used for one before as there was a stat before but not now. The fused outlet only has a live neutral earth though. Is it possible this was used for stat or not?

you need to explain a little more what your mate wants - like nelson say's, is it an immersion you are fitting? or is it a cylinder stat for the central heating? If it is the latter, then no, you cant use that. There may be a junction box for the central heating wiring, you need to wire the stat to there! If it is the immersion, then the spur is fine, and comes with a stat in it!

Sorry I should have said, it's just to control the immersion. The stat he has is marked c, 1, 2? Is this the right kind of stat needed or not?

The imersion heater stat is normally in the imersion heater itself as a long rod with the temp setting and connections in the head. Have a look under the imersion heater cover to see what is there. Also worth considering replacing the imersion heater if it does not meet the latest standards which changed in 2004. Have a look at the Screwfic or Toolstation catalogs.

Sorry I should have said, it's just to control the immersion. The stat he has is marked c, 1, 2? Is this the right kind of stat needed or not?

That sounds like the type that you strap onto the side of the cylinder to fire-up the boiler when the water inside the cylinder cools.

Is it a rectangular box-shape about 75mm x 30mm x 40mm or is it a metal rod like an earth spike with a terminal box on the end?

That sounds like the type that you strap onto the side of the cylinder to fire-up the boiler when the water inside the cylinder cools.

Is it a rectangular box-shape about 75mm x 30mm x 40mm or is it a metal rod like an earth spike with a terminal box on the end?

Yeah it's a rectangular box-shape stat that straps onto the side of the cylinder! Not done much involving heating before so just thought I'd ask here first. Could actually do with learning a bit more about heating systems etc if anybody could point me into the right direction re site or book that would be great.

If it's the cylinder stat then it should be wired in to the wiring centre (usually close to the cylinder) not the fused outlet. It should be wired into the call for heat feed to the boiler. It will depend on what type of boiler you have though. If there's a cylinder present it will probably be a system boiler. But may have a CHP system connected to it as well if there's solar heating on the roof.

After a bit more investigation, it's a combi boiler, theirs two outlets beside the boiler, one a flex leaves and goes to the top of the cylinder into one of those rod thermostats and the other where by the looks of things was where an old cylinder stat that straps round the stat was. The connections are LNE. I looked in at the cylinder in my own house and it seems to be same setup apart from I have a cylinder stat (strapped round) already in place.

Lot of confusion here. Combi-boilers do not need a cylinder.

So, either not a combi-boiler in which case it should already have a thermostat on the tank otherwise boiler would heat all the time and never go off.
Or, it is a combi-boiler and for some reason they have kept the tank with immersion heater - not sure if the plumbing would work. Is there water in it?

Why does your mate want a thermostat? If there is one there already then it's a straight swap.

See previous posts for connecting.

Lot of confusion here. Combi-boilers do not need a cylinder.

So, either not a combi-boiler in which case it should already have a thermostat on the tank otherwise boiler would heat all the time and never go off.
Or, it is a combi-boiler and for some reason they have kept the tank with immersion heater - not sure if the plumbing would work. Is there water in it?

Why does your mate want a thermostat? If there is one there already then it's a straight swap.

See previous posts for connecting.

It is possible to connect a combi to a storage cylinder. You connect the heating coil in the cylinder to the central heating circuit & you control the temperature of the stored water by means of the cylinder stat & either a zone valve or mid port valve - as you would if you had a system boiler.

The direct hot water outlet from the combi could then be used to supply hot water to sinks & basins, & the storage cylinder could supply hot water to a bath. I would consider doing this because combis are notoriously slow in filling baths.

Reply to Cylinder Stat in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net