Dangerous condition procedure | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Dangerous condition procedure in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benny_Boy

I had an interview for a job recently for the council (which I got) testing and inspecting.

One of the questions was the following scenario :

Say you went to an occupied property and on the door opening you notice an exposed live conductor which looks like it could well be live, ie completely broken accessory or similar.

You can see there are very young children present and the occupants will not grant access.

What do you do?

I'd like to hear what you chaps would do in that situation. Bearing in mind you are a council operative.

Report the matter back to the property owner. Note on your PIR sheet, unable to gain access, so unable to carry out test and Inspection as instructed. After all you cant go in without the tenants consent, so you can't give a report for something you can't inspect properly.
If they want to let their kids run around in a dangerous situation that is their business. You have done all that you can do in the situation.

I have never heard of a "Dangerous Condition report" for an Electrical Installation, can you explain what it is please. It does sound like a good idea.

Cheers............Howard

Really, If you could see nippers running around near what looks like a live exposed conductor? Could you really walk away?

What choice do you have, you cant force your way in. You can only do what the law will allow, and that is in my first reply. I agree with you, no i wouldnt want to just walk away, but i cant stay there all day, and you must first consider your own safety, what if you did get in, big dogs, abuse and so on.

I have never heard of a "Dangerous Condition report" for an Electrical Installation, can you explain what it is please. It does sound like a good idea.

Cheers............Howard
Well.....my answer was issue a DCR, but judging by the look on their faces it seems they were after something else. They put the "Could you just walk away" question to me after I gave em my answer. I don't know what else they could have wanted?

OK.. thinking back to my old council days... err... yup.

Breakfast!!

Other than that I would have reported it to my line manager as there would be a system in place for this kind of event. If there was no process in place, I would issue an DCR on my own behalf and then insist on a meeting with my LM to get a system in place.

Am I missing something here? Everyone seems to be answering as if you can't get in but that is not in your original question. If you have access, isolate and make safe immediately. If you don't have access, try and gain access. If you can't gain access, if you're part of the council and its a council house, get on the blower straight away to your superiors or someone who may be able to get access.

EDIT sorry didn't see the owners wouldn't grant access. Probably try and reason with them and explain the dangers is the answer they were looking for

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something here? Everyone seems to be answering as if you can't get in but that is not in your original question. If you have access, isolate and make safe immediately. If you don't have access, try and gain access. If you can't gain access, if you're part of the council and its a council house, get on the blower straight away to your superiors or someone who may be able to get access.

EDIT sorry didn't see the owners wouldn't grant access. Probably try and reason with them and explain the dangers is the answer they were looking for
That's what I reckoned. They still looked blank. Maybe it was one of those questions to which there are no right answers!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I reckoned. They still looked blank. Maybe it was one of those questions to which there are no right answers!
Tenants have rights, so landlords cannot force entry or isolate the electrical supply without agreed consent.

I think they were looking for you to say that you would express concern to the tenants and offer to rectify it. Then, upon them refusing you entry you would follow whatever procedure is in place, and not get personal or opinionated with the tenants.

Exposed part well i thought it was obviouse you make it safe as you can to avoide the risk of electric shock , you do have a duty of care

Reply to Dangerous condition procedure in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net