Definately in the wrong game | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Definately in the wrong game in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

madrid

I recently moved from scotland down to buckinghamshire and i have this brand new wood burning stove i wanted installed.So i contacted 4 local installers to get a price.This stove was going in a single story extension so to comply with building regs needed about 4.5 metres of twin wall flue and a few bends and clips etc.I could probably do it in a day on my own or short day with 2 men.I was supplying my own slate hearth stone.I priced up the flue on line as there are a few suppliers who sell to non trade customers and can buy the gear for between 500 and 800 pounds depending on the quality and lenghth of guarantee.cheapest quote i got was £2350 plus vat rising to £3000 for the dearest.taking into consideration these guys will be getting a discount for materials even the cheapest is making about £1500 to £1700 for a days work.absolute robbers.The dearest company tried to justify their price by sending three men to do a job one man could do easily.They were only making £2400 for the day.If you buy the stove from them they make several hundred on a decent size stove as well.To rub it in ,all of them were booked up until the end of feb.

I might have to go on a 4 day training course and become a wood burning stove installer ;). Imagine being booked up for 2 months on that kind of money.

It's because people know that a wood burning stove, if installed incorrectly, can burn down your house. whereas electrics installed incorrectly can't.

Reply to Definately in the wrong game in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net