Delayed tripping on RCD | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Delayed tripping on RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

impish15

Trainee
Supporter
Reaction score
Not even sure where to start with this…

Got a split board RCD which is tripping after 10mins of being ON. Never had this before. I thought I identified the circuit with the fault (RCD trips immediately when circuit on) but looks like a fault on more than 1 circuit

Customer just had a brand new rewire, I don’t think I have seen it this bad before on a brand new rewire
  • Lights sockets no earth sleeving
  • CPC twisted together everywhere
  • No junction box used under floorboard. Cables just taped together or in some cases not
  • No glands In CU used for meter tails
  • IP rating for cables entering CU none existent, open holes everywhere
  • switch lines not correctly identified with sleeving
  • single core cable (blue) running in joists under floorboard between light switches
  • no isolator on bathroom extractor fan
  • earth cut at some switches
  • things incorrectly labelled at CU
The list goes on…..

I’m back there tomorrow to do more testing. My question is aside from everything wrong with the install, is there a scenario where a RCD will trip after 10mins of being ON without a light / socket / appliance switched on and off?

Forget about the fault finding…. Sounds like the customer has been well and truly ripped off.

You don’t want your fingerprints all over someone else’s cock up until any complaints procedure has been resolved.
Honestly it is so bad. If it was a friend or family I would be rewiring straight away without question. I have said this to the customer already. Unfortunately they went for the cheapest quote £2k (I think she said) for a 3 bed in London is crazy cheap.

I am more intrigued as to why there is a delayed RCD trip. I know I should stay away but I’m intrigued as to what the reason could be, mainly from a learning perspective

I would be puting a low current amp meter round the line and neutral tails,set to hold the max reading, also ramp test the (RCD) Residual Current Device, turning off various circuits and /or disconnecting the neutrals if needed may help trace the problem.

I would be puting a low current amp meter round the line and neutral tails,set to hold the max reading, also ramp test the (RCD) Residual Current Device, turning off various circuits and /or disconnecting the neutrals if needed may help trace the problem.
Ok I’ll try this when I’m down

Reply to Delayed tripping on RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net