dimmer controlled halagen lights | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss dimmer controlled halagen lights in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

coldy82

hi i have 15 halagen lights controlled by a dimmer switch and one by one the lights keep going and when i try to replace the light it will not work i am down to my last four lights that are working . can anyone shed some light on what might be the cause

yes they are downlighter and yes they are dimmerable they have been working for about a year but when i come to replace them they will not work i have tried a swapping a bulb that was good and it wouldnt work

easiest waty to start is to replace the dimmer with a standard rocker switch. if they work then, it's the dimmer. you need at least a 1kW dimmer.

generally, yes. but my suggestion was a process of elimination (do the easiest bit first) . if the switch don't fix it, then testing the circuit after the switch would be my next step.

hi i have just check the bulbs that are used and they are 12v 50w halagen this means that they are elv has any one got any ideas

TBH i think you've been given the only ideas of finding out whats gone wrong, check your dimmer is ok then check at each fitting or transformer for voltage.

hi i have just check the bulbs that are used and they are 12v 50w halagen this means that they are elv has any one got any ideas

Some transformers do not like to be dimmed, yours may be that kind. IMO take them all out and buy a decent lighting system. If you still prefer downlighters, then again replace the ELV ones with 230 GU 10.

Also you may find that because they are ELV, there is more heat, and you may also have problem with the holders being slack.

Reply to dimmer controlled halagen lights in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net