Disabling fire alarm zones | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Disabling fire alarm zones in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mike3671

I work in a reasonably sized food factory split into 10 zones.We have from time to time the need to disable certain zones be it for clean downs or when a fault occurs and the alarm company are callled.

I'm just curious as to the legality of disabling a zone as someone has asked the question is it legal to do so.

Thanks

Mike

you can disable zones for various reasons,not sure theres time limit to how long,tho your insurance company should be informed of when zones are disabled and why for any length of time to keep you right

They are normally disabled over the weekend when hygiene go mad, as their warm hoses in a chilled enviroment cause quite a bit of steam. If the zone that is disabled such as a roof space for a fault then we would regularly patrol the area until the alarm company arrived

I have to isolate zones from time to time and i keep a log book where you can record the zones isolated and the reason,ie building works.Also if you have security presence on site always keep them informed and involve them in regular patrols of the isolated area.if the area affected is for hot works after the zone is enabled carry out fire watch for three hours hope this helps

I isolate zones when requested for maintenance of plant etc or faults, as long as the building is manned at the time of isolation you are covered, this was another a question i raised with my local senior fire officer, and that it was a good idea for the occupants to designate someone as a fire warden to monitor the disabled zone until re enabled.

Im under the assumption the zone been disabled covers some type of automatic detection and dosnt include local breakglass units, if anyone in the area spotted a fire they will be able to still operate a breakglass then i cant see an issue as long as its all documented, just a query what exactly is been disabled and have the got IP rating for the steam you mention as overtime this will build moisture up in a standard smoke or heat detector and eventually cause a defunct detector or nuisance alarms.
I went to a F/A alarm last year which had a heat detector in a wine chiller room and every time you entered the warm moist air would condense on the cold plastic eventually corroding the pcb inside and giving false alarms.

Reply to Disabling fire alarm zones in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net