Distribution circuits in Section 705 location, RCD needed? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Distribution circuits in Section 705 location, RCD needed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok photos.
The distro box D
View attachment 117330

The more concerning hook up point (the mobile units go before the sheep arrive)

View attachment 117329

Solar panels that are in fields that have livestock are fenced.

If horses are going to be there, then adding an electric fence could be an option.

Let's not get into a debate about whether 705 applies, for me that is without question as for at least 4 months of a year there are sheep in that there field!

Here is where I am at:

That locked cabinet is the outer cabinet. Inside is a further metal distribution panel with a locked door. It could easily have a fence around it. A fence around it could take it completely out of the special location.

If a lockable front and back panel was made for the hookup points, we then have a distribution box outside the special location, a reasonably sheep-proof box, and every outlet 30ma RCD protected.

Given the history of the reg and taking into consideration the use of the field and the livestock concerned, I'm not considering that it's a C2 that the inaccessible underground cable between the two doesn't have RCD protection. I've asked how deep it was laid and been told 1.2m.
I'll sleep on it but at the moment it's going to be a C3.

If anyone thinks I'm underplaying any risks then let's talk about it; I do very much value the collective wisdom of you lot!

If it were me would fit a 300ma RCD at source. Then at the end of the day you have met the requirements of 705.
So far every C3 I've issued has been actioned, so it could well still happen.
I'm intending to C2 the livestock access to distribution panel /cables and access to hookups as I consider them more potentially dangerous.
But before deciding on the remedy I need to declare how dangerous a cable 1.2m underneath some sheep without RCD protection is. I'm open to my opinion being swayed by reasoning.
To provoke thinking - if it turned out (as I have no idea) that the supply to the house ran under the same field, would that be potentially dangerous?

Regulations notwithstanding, the only thing in those pics that is likely to be affected by sheep is the trailing flexibles on the ground from the hook up points.
In another life, I have shorn sheep, played midwife to sheep, de-tailed (and other things) sheep, performed chiropodist services on sheep, fed sheep and housed sheep. Hundreds of them. I know how sheep behave, and the only thing they'd do to those cables on the ground is to trample them.

Reply to Distribution circuits in Section 705 location, RCD needed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net