Do i need to issue a certificate | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Do i need to issue a certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm an electrician, I've just fitted a heat pump to an isolator that was installed by another electrical company, I've been asked to issue a certificate for connecting the heat pump, I've gone back to them and said there electrician needs to issue the certificate as he installed the circuit, there electrician has gone back to them and said I need to as I've extended the circuit, I was under the impression that connecting to an isolator is not classed as altering or extending a circuit so I don't believe needs a certificate issued by me, am I right?

no different than adding a fixed panel heater or something to an existing switch fuse. The pump is simply an appliance being connected to an existing isolator.

They need to certify the circuit up to the isolator.
Thanks littlespark, that's what I thought, do you happen to know the specific reg that's states that?

They have done electrical work... they should test it before anyone else gets a chance to alter it.

In fact... here it is from the BBB

"641.1 Every installation shall, during erection and on completion before being put into service, be inspected and tested to verify... yada yada yada... that the requirements of BS7671 have been met"

How are you supposed to know which cable sizes they used, OCPD, cable routes, any number of other things..... when you yourself didn't install the cable.

If you actually modified the circuit... ie, rewired a cable because it was too short, or changed the OCPD, or something to the "Fixed Wiring" then you would need to do a minor works cert.... but connecting up a pump wouldnt be modifying the circuit

I had to go back to the OP there and check it was installed by another company completely... not you finishing off a workmates job from the same company.

Reply to Do i need to issue a certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net