Do I want to change my meter/CU? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Do I want to change my meter/CU? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kl1v3

Hi folks,

New to here, and have an equaly newbie question. Have done plenty of googling and just confusing myself, so thought I'd ask the experts.

Anyhow, heres my problem.

I've just taken over an industrial unit, which from what I can gather was previously used by a joiner/carpenter using some pretty heavy machinery. As such, along with the 3-phase supply has a 3-phase meter and consumer unit.
Now, my intentions for the space are musical. There is no equipment designed for, or requiring 3-phase supply. As such I have been wondering if pluging my delicate single phase equipment into this would be a good idea. Have also seen it mentioned that using single phase electrics on a 3-phase meter may cause inaccurate billing, to do with only 1 phase being used yet being billed as if all 3 were using same:confused:.

Basicaly would it be worth my while getting in contact with the electric company and having a single phase meter and CU fitted?

Cheers in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have an electrician look at the job as you may not need a new distribution board, only some wiring alterations. Then a new single phase meter

Cant say without seeing the situation thats why you need a spark to look at it but it is poosible that after altering some wiring it could be changed to single phase

If you change the meter, then the DB will have to be altered to work with single phase.
Your best bet will be to contact your energy supplier, to determine how you are charged.

As others have advised, contact your electricity supplier, who will probably just remove 2 of the phase fuses, along with there tails, remove the existing 3 phase meter and replace with a single phase meter. The existing 3 phase DB can easily be converted from 3 phase to single phase operation, but this is best left to a qualified electrician. It shouldn't cost much for the change-over by the DNO, if anything, but that is something you will need to ascertain when you contact them....

Reply to Do I want to change my meter/CU? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net