Do other Inverter suppliers offer an equivalent to Sunnyboy Explorer? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Do other Inverter suppliers offer an equivalent to Sunnyboy Explorer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Grinnders

Hi Guys,

New consumer here.

Just about to have a 17 panel (4KWph) PV installation and after reading a lot on here have decided to go with SANYO HIT N235SE10 panels based on the positive feedback and constricted roof space.

I live in Poole with a predominantly West facing roof but there is some South facing so we're looking to split between the two (mostly West though). Potential shading south (early morning) and none West.

At the moment the installer has not suggested the inverter ("will run it through some software") but I am optimistic it will be Sunnyboy or Fronius. They are quoting for a Bluetooth display @ £250 installed but as I work in IT I know bluetooth connectivity to be relatively simple and see that SMA offer the sort of alternative I would prefer. We already have a monitor from EON for electricity supply and I know in 6 months I've probably only bothered the once to connect it via USB and download to a PC.

Therefore I can see the appeal of a Bluetooth connection direct to the PC, which is where I'd prefer to review the performance.

So after this long ramble... do Fronius or other inverter suppliers offer a similar bluetooth option? I don't really want to spend £500-£1000 on one of the internet connected data loggers when in reality that is probably more useful for the installer than it is for me.

Thanks for the wealth of information so far. Great website

Fronius are single mppt inverters and not suitable if your roof slopes to be used point in different directions.

Power-One inverters are dual mppt, have built in RS485 and USB, and offer a wireless card (not Bluetooth, 300m range free air iirc). Their display also looks OK - I have one on my desk in front of me which I am due to go back and install in a week's time. It works with either RS485 or wireless.
Desktop | Power-One

Regards
Bruce

Thanks BruceB. The Power-One desktop looks a bit like a colourful version of the Sunny Beam with Bluetooth monitor so probably the same difference. I do take onboard your observation that the Fronius would not be appropriate for dual aspect systems and confirmed that the quotation I have proffers a SMA SB4000TL so I think the decision seems pretty sound.

So... if the system IS 17 x HIT N235SE10 and SANYO often generate >than 100% quoted rates will 4000W rating be enough?

A 4000W inverter works best in UK with 10% - 20% over-panelling. In other words between 4400W and 4800W of panels. Try it out in Sunny Design.
Regards
Bruce

As you are IT savvy you might be interested to know it is possible to set up a script on the PC to interrogate the Sunny Boy inverter at regular intervals (using sunny explorer command line instructions) which then exports the inverter readings to an excel file. You can go further and set the script to upload the data to PVOutput.org which is free web site for sharing and comparing PV output data. So you can then keep an eye on your PV output from anywhere with a web browser. If that sort of thing interests you then just do a Google search on sma-uploader

Regards
John

@JohnBoyz. Thanks for that. That's the sort of thing I expected would be possible.

@BruceB. I've tried Sunny Design and allowing for some pessimistic generalisation (i.e. both strings pointing West) it seems the PV/Inverter are compatible. I produced a PDF but it doesn't seem this forums permits non-image attachments.

Fronius do a couple of options, Fronius Personal display or serial connection to a PC. PowerOne do a simular wired RS485/USB interface for PCs.
The main disadvantage of these systems is you have to look at them. I know that sounds strange, but once the novelty wears off, and the wife has put the SunnyBeam in a drawer cos it looks messy, you have to remember to go and look.
I'd recommend something like a Solar Log. Its can work on pretty much all inverters available, internet connected, and will email/txt you error reports if the system doesn't produce any power for 24hrs.
You can login anywhere with internet access, have iphone app. so you can check anywhere.

I think web monitoring is a better long term solution. Yes it may be £100 more than a desktop display, but far more useful.

Thanks for your response Extreme PV. I kind of agree on the web service strategy, but have little need for analysis beyond the house. I think the JohnBoyz recommendation will give me what I need, when and where I need it without the extra expense.

I've got a SMA 3000HF installed with the bluetooth function, I use SunnyExplorer and also export the stats to a website for analysis. Don't buy expensive monitoring stuff - its so over priced !

Really recommend the SMA inverters though.

SunnyExplorer is great, and so are the SunnyBeams etc, but think your kind of missing the point. Monitoring isn't expensive - not monitoring is! If you install a system and after the novelty wears off of looking at how many kwh's you made that hour... you won't check. People are naturally lazy. (well I am anyway)
If your AC mains voltage rises and your inverter trips in and out all day ... you will never know.
If you have a mains spike, enought to trip the circuit breaker on your inverter...you stop producing and... you would never know.

Monitoring is not over priced. Its less than 1% of system hardware cost. In 20-25yrs system life... how much money could you lose if you don't monitor they system? It if trips out, and its 6months before you get your next cheque... is it expensive then?

ExtremePV. I think my line of enquiry is not about NOT monitoring but how and what works best for me personally.

I know from experience that I cannot be bothered to connect my Eon supply monitor regularly enough to my PC to download useful intelligence over USB. It's a common fault with me. I am a diabetic and have the same issues of not collecting my data from my Blood monitor too and give my consultant just the last 3 months! :mad2:
I am sure the Sunny beam is good but would present the same problem (as I understand) as it holds a max of about 90 daily files (although software now updated to include 12 monthlys) if I didn't do it regularly enough.

By setting up some scripts as suggested I can PULL data to my PC whether I consciously remember to or not. I think the installation includes a Sunny Beam anyway so it will probably be a nice gadget to show off to my mates but soon end up in the kitchen drawer with everything else in it as suggested, but for analysis it's not going to be the prime tool for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Do other Inverter suppliers offer an equivalent to Sunnyboy Explorer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net