Do you get problems on CU changes | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Do you get problems on CU changes in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SKY

So many home owners are slowly changing their old boards for new distribution boards.
Mainly dual RCD boards to meet the current regulations.

On a straight forward board change do you come across problems where the RCD will continually trip due to poor older wiring and DIY modifications?

Is so what faults do you tend to find?

Thanks

Broken rings seem to follow me around, and the existing wiring always has to have a few circuits that 2" short and need extending inside the CU.

Always. Always.

I recommend doing as much testing as you can before removing the old board, preferably before you even buy the new board if you have time. That way, you can say 'well this has to be sorted first, and it's going to cost you blah per hour'.

You will get major IR issues. Always.

You will get them ringing up saying it trips when the washing machine turns on. Explain to the beforehand that the RCD will pick up faults in appliances that you are not testing for.

And of course, the good old 'borrowed neutral' on the landing light

Oh yes, as others have said above.
Most important is to educate your customer before the consumer unit is changed. explain the pro's and con's. make sure that they are aware that there new board offers shock protection which extends beyond the fixed wiring and includes any appliances they choose to plug in ect ect. And yes do a pir prior to the install.

the old borrowed, broken rings, i always test first the full range of them.
i did get a little gem on one of my first ones that kept tripping the rcd. someone had trapped a neutral to the back box and it tripped the rcd intermittently picked up quick enough so no stress :D

I bet so much destruction can be done sometimes in looking for the fault - I mean people putting JBs in spaces that no man will see??

like said above i always carry out all dead tests and take some zs values before removing exsisting board as u cant always find a break in a ring main an have to resort to splitting into 2 16a radials as the cheaper option, also always check a two way lighting circuit on old installations in a house as many have only a 2 core cable as your stappers then take the feed from the downstairs and the neutral from the upstairs you then split the circuits between 2 rcds or rcbos and 1 flick off the sw takes out the lot, and also the dreaded borrowed neutrals, but all this will be picked up on your dead tests so i chose to do them first, after i have established that the ze or Ra reading is compliant always the first test before starting any works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
and look for lack of cpc on lighting. either price for remedy or label CU

Last edited:
I try to get customer to have an all rcbo board that way usually any fault only affects one circuit which is easier to convince them there is an existing problem, which is also easier to find.
Cost of rcbo's falling all the time so not such a cost difference, I explain the advantages first, usually works.

So when it comes to isolation when changing the fuseboard, would all of you call the Electricity supplier to pull the main fuse?

I dont know about "all",the chances are a miniscule minority may do such a thing
Personally,in all my years of sparking,I never did get to know their number

yep broken ring is common.what i do is try to get the customer to go full rcbo. bit more pricey but the best way. as the board is smaller the cables dont need extending in a crappy diy type way.
did a job last week .board had been changed by others on shower job .loads of screw connectors looked c$£p.

My biggest problem is trying to get the job in nthe first place. Too many cheap skates round here fitting shoddy CED, CPN etc gear, rather than decent stuff.

My own fault, just cant bring myself to use the cheapo gear.

it's not always the cheaspest quote gets the job. we have to sell ourselves on quality. but we are in the wrong trade. recently received a letter from my solicitor informing me of his new hourly rate ( approved by the courts ) £174 / hour + VAT. Jeeeeezus.

My biggest problem is trying to get the job in nthe first place. Too many cheap skates round here fitting shoddy CED, CPN etc gear, rather than decent stuff.

My own fault, just cant bring myself to use the cheapo gear.

In the past,there couldn't be any argument with what you say

However, the last few years has seen the main players of the materials we use, cost cutting to such an extent theres little benefit over the cheapies
I notice with rcbos and mcbs,they are starting to become identical, the cheap and the expensive,a good name and a bad name,they all have just a
company name sticker to seperate them

We got a recall of mcbs used over a fairly long period,who can now be confident that the top brands are any better because of past reptations and quality

i agree with you above about the cheaper parts. i have always used Wylex boards. then i tried the british general to cut costs , they are easy to install and look neat aswell for £50. iv installed about 6 of them now in the last 3 months and havent had any problems at all.

i agree with you above about the cheaper parts. i have always used Wylex boards. then i tried the british general to cut costs , they are easy to install and look neat aswell for £50. iv installed about 6 of them now in the last 3 months and havent had any problems at all.
just downloaded thier price list. cheapest dual RCD board is £135!!!

Reply to Do you get problems on CU changes in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net