do you need to be with a governing body to do a pir? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss do you need to be with a governing body to do a pir? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

coxy84

hi there
im a part p approved 17th edtion electrician with my 2391
do you need to be with a governering body such as nic or eca to carry out a periodic report on a commercial property?
iv been asked to do one for a local pub. but dont want to have to to fork out to become registered. as i dont get much of this work and it wouldnt be worth my while.

Last edited by a moderator:
second that, ken. as long as confident in one's own ability. also , it's not domestic so part poo don't apply anyway

Carrying out a pir on a public building subject to licensing may be a little more involved than a domestic property pir.

You will be well advised to take out professional indemnity insurance before entering the world of commercial periodic inspection and as has already been mentioned, an above average knowledge of BS7671 is a must!

Hey Coxy 84, be very aware of taking advice from IQ Electrical. On matters of our industry, he really does know he's stuff - personally I think that he's a 'mad professor' type!!! However if he offers you 'personal advice', then you should bear in mind that this is a man, who openly states on a public forum that he is an Arsenal fan from Newcastle!!! That to me says that he should be confined to an institution, or has probably escaped from one.

Hey Coxy 84, be very aware of taking advice from IQ Electrical. On matters of our industry, he really does know he's stuff - personally I think that he's a 'mad professor' type!!! However if he offers you 'personal advice', then you should bear in mind that this is a man, who openly states on a public forum that he is an Arsenal fan from Newcastle!!! That to me says that he should be confined to an institution, or has probably escaped from one.

What rubbish! I was released days ago! :)

Lovely 3-0 there tonight!

Happy new year Ken!

What rubbish! I was released days ago! :)

Lovely 3-0 there tonight!

Happy new year Ken!
See, told you didn't I? He admits it. Taxi...
Cheers IQ, it was such a one sided game as well. Happy and prosperous new year too you as well. Lets hope that the boys in the industry can start earning some decent coin again this year.

See, told you didn't I? He admits it. Taxi...
Cheers IQ, it was such a one sided game as well. Happy and prosperous new year too you as well. Lets hope that the boys in the industry can start earning some decent coin again this year.

I've got a feeling, commercially at least, that we're a good 2 years away from the swing-back to good times, the cuts will probably have a bit of a time lag before they really bite.

I still hope for a happy and prosperous new year though! :)

Carrying out a pir on a public building subject to licensing may be a little more involved than a domestic property pir.

thanks tony,
could you clarify what more would be involved in doing a pir on building subject to licensing?
the certificate is to satisfy the local council

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks tony,
could you clarify what more would be involved in doing a pir on building subject to licensing?

Quite often, the local authority will have a 'mini spec' for PIR's on licensed premises, a relic from Public Entertainment Licenses.

Normally the only proviso is the inspection percentage.

thanks tony,
Its not that you would have to clarify anything more on a public building fella. Any pir that you conduct should be thoughly extensive. The point being made, I believe, was that the owners of said public buildings would expect an electrician conducting their pirs to be qualified and have extensive experience. If for no other reason, than to satisfy the insurance company.
Whereas most domestic customers have such little understanding of the legal requirements of our industry, that they will generally take the word of anyone who can impress them with a sales pitch. I may be wrong here, as I personally, have never conducted a pir on my own for a client but I've worked alongside many a fine sparkie who could find a fault in a storm. As I stated earlier, pirs really are for those of us who are at the top of our game.

Inspection percentage... IQ, isn't that what most of these public bodies just look to?

They often dictate the minimum acceptable percentage of inspection-say 20%

Fair enough really, the less the percentage and higher the limitations, the more the report is devalued.

For the authorities we do PIR's for, we have minimum percentages for building types eg. public house, primary school, college etc.

thanks tony,

A lot of time the council will want you to be affliated to a scheme, and that in the majority of cases, will be the NICEIC. Before you take the time and effort to do the PIR make sure that the council will accept a PIR from you, even though with the 2391-10 you would be deemed competant.

Reply to do you need to be with a governing body to do a pir? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net