Does this look safe???? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Does this look safe???? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bk81

Hi All,

The company I work for also makes the equipment we install. Recently they've removed a double socket they had on a cabinet and replaced with a single, in the photo.

I'm not sure this is good enough, I think the socket should comply with IP2X, the screwdriver in the photo is a 4mm which can easily go through into the back box.

Anyone care to back me up, or shoot me down?;) [ElectriciansForums.net] Does this look safe????[ElectriciansForums.net] Does this look safe????[ElectriciansForums.net] Does this look safe????

Before we had a double wired in 2.5mm singles with a 6A BS88 fuse and warning label clearly marked saying total load not to exceed 6A (1380Watts).

I can only assume the customers thought this was not good enough and had asked for us only to supply a single socket instead. But, even if this is only a temporary measure, it still looks a bit dodgy to me.

I've told my boss and he's trying to find the reasoning behind it.

why the hell was a s/o on 2.5mm protected with a 6A? sounds like mr. bodgit has fallen out with mr scarper.

You could put the double socket back so it fits as it was designed for, or you could make the single socket fit properly.
I don't really understand what it is... Obviously it's a socket but what is it used for and why can't the customer resist drawing too much current off it?

BT, and my company bending over, it makes me cringe some of the stuff that goes on!

And also office muppets who think they're sparks cos they've got their 17th edition!

Hi Novus, it's a DC distribution cabinet in BT exchanges.

That's what I've said to my boss, surely there's something on the market to make a double box to a single?

I think the sockets are used for testing equipment, little consumption anyway, really don't now why we've had to change it...

BT are quick to demand things without reason and with our contract coming up for renewal my company are only to pleased to jump as high as they can!

I apologise, got my IP ratings mixed up, I thought IP4X was finger. Although, just googled it and it says sockets and switches is IP3X (no greater than 2.5mm)

Enclosures, which to my mind would include a socket are IP4X for the top horizontal surface (no greater than 1mm), and all other surfaces IP2X (no greater than 12.5mm).
Perhaps sockets fronts are IP3X? Although I'm not aware of such.

Reply to Does this look safe???? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net