Dol contactor & overload selection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Dol contactor & overload selection in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Can you please tell me how to calculate/select the correct contactor & overload for the following:-

Single phase 2.2kw induction motor fitted to a steam cleaner/pressure washer. There is currently no motor controls fitted as they have been removed by previous owner. I have also seen contactor& overload combinations listed is the overload built in to these?

Thanks

Looking at most manufacturers standard industrial single phase electric motors you would require an overload set around 15 - 16 Amps. Taking into account that your motor probably has 2 capacitors in circuit (Cap Start / Cap Run). I would suggest a Crompton Controls Series 3000 DOL Starter. They can be purchased from the website below.

3DL2 --S | cromptoncontrols.co.uk

Please bare in mind that you would have to specify that you need the following.

Crompton Controls Series 3000 3DL2 with a 230V coil voltage c/w overload relay CR16/18 which has a range of 13 - 18 Amps if i remember correct. Another good website for any of these types of products is www.electricmotorshop.co.uk These guys are very good, and if its not on there website give them a call, they have always been good for me.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Good alround advice from KBrewinds but see if you can pull up a wiring diagram of the steam cleaners controls off the net or manufacturers so as to attain the voltage of the control circuit as it may not be the same as supply voltage, if not then a little knowledge of control circuits will be needed to know the correct value of the contactors coil voltage that you will be required to specify when buying the contactor.

Last edited:
Good alround advice from KBrewinds but see if you can pull up a wiring diagram of the steam cleaners controls off the net or manufacturers so as to attain the voltage of the control circuit as it may not be the same as supply voltage, if not then a little knowledge of control circuits will be needed to know the correct value of the contactors coil voltage that you will be required to specify when buying the contactor.

I would have thought that would be the first place to look, at the Manufacturers web site!!!

If the model of this machine is obsolete, then get the relevant information from there technical dept... Got to be better than asking on a forum with no information of make or model, just a KW rating of a motor....

I would have thought that would be the first place to look, at the Manufacturers web site!!!

If the model of this machine is obsolete, then get the relevant information from there technical dept... Got to be better than asking on a forum with no information of make or model, just a KW rating of a motor....

The challenge of solving his problems with lack of said info keeps the neural networks working in the old grey matter.... makes budding sherlocks of most of us ..

Reply to Dol contactor & overload selection in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net