domestic conduit question external is plastic exceptable? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss domestic conduit question external is plastic exceptable? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pbrender

Hi Everyone,

is it exceptable to use plastic conduit outside on a domestic install or should it only be galvanised steel?

I have to run power in 2.5 t&e approx 3m outside along a brick face, they have already bought the plastic conduit!

thankyou to everypne who answered my first post.

paul​

It's a question of risk in my opinion. Is it likely to get damaged, or vandalised. These are questions you will have to ask. I would of probably gone with galv, but if they've bought PVC, then thats what you may have to use. Don't forget to allow for expansion on runs longer than 3m in PVC.

yes,

will be about 3m off the floor and down a side wall so out of diredt sunlight and adverse weather,chance of impact virtually zero!

so plastic is the way for this job!

happy days!

It's a question of risk in my opinion. Is it likely to get damaged, or vandalised. These are questions you will have to ask. I would of probably gone with galv, but if they've bought PVC, then thats what you may have to use. Don't forget to allow for expansion on runs longer than 3m in PVC.

Johnboy, what's your recommendation on how to cope with expansion on longer runs? Many thanks.

Hi pbrender, If you're using plastic, heavy weight PVC conduit is more robust for external use, also black PVC has a higher resistance to the ageing effects of exposure to UV light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnboy, what's your recommendation on how to cope with expansion on longer runs? Many thanks.
You cut the tube short in the coupler, and seal it with flexible sealant ontbe outside. Use a polyeurathene sealant, that is designed for exterior use. I hate it when I see long PVC tube runs that start to bend. Another idea that is use on long runs of pipe is expansion loops. They put put a bubble in the pipe, so that the bends absorb the expansion. This wouldn't look very good in conduit though, unless the bends were needed anyway, for example to set around an obstacle.

Last edited:
You cut the tube short in the coupler, and seal it with flexible sealant ontbe outside. Use a polyeurathene sealant, that is designed for exterior use. Ihate it when I see long PVC tube runs that start to bend. Another idea that is use on long runs of pipe is expansion loops. They put put a bubble in the pile, so that thebends absorb the expansion. This wouldn't look very good in conduit though, unless the bends were needed anyway, for example to set around an obstacle.

How about using short sections of flexible conduit properly joined with couplers & solvent cement?

Reply to domestic conduit question external is plastic exceptable? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net