Domestic EICR pricing??????? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic EICR pricing??????? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I’m starting to do EICRs in domestic properties just curious to know what others are charging particularly Scotland and very particularly around the Glasgow/Renfrewshire/ayrshire/Dunbarton way I’m offering £30 per circuit I reckon that gives me enough time to do it properly with a bit of wiggle room for unexpected issues and doing the cert what would you charge?
I’m not interested in the race to the bottom and compete on quality rather than price so I doubt I’d ever do it for much less.

Your problem there is a 10 circuit house would cost at least £300 plus extras. That is a bit on the high side, to say the least.
Some you'll get done for a tenner, others, more difficult or awkward, maybe £30. How about halfway?

I’m starting to do EICRs in domestic properties just curious to know what others are charging particularly Scotland and very particularly around the Glasgow/Renfrewshire/ayrshire/Dunbarton way I’m offering £30 per circuit I reckon that gives me enough time to do it properly with a bit of wiggle room for unexpected issues and doing the cert what would you charge?
I’m not interested in the race to the bottom and compete on quality rather than price so I doubt I’d ever do it for much less.

There are plenty of people in the greater Glasgow doing EICRs for £40-£60. Some of these people aren't even electricians. I think you are going to struggle to get £30 a circuit up here, most certainly not if you're doing work for letting agents. It's a VERY crowded marketplace and the competition is cut-throat. I've asked £125 for a two-bedroom house and been told my price was "expensive". Good luck anyway.

I haven’t done EICRs before that’s why I was asking to get a bit of a feel for the market think I’ll drop the price and just do a “from” price think I need to do a little more market research. I tend to get quite a lot of work from landlords directly and haven’t ever approached or been approached by letting agents most of them round this way just recommend someone to you but tell you to find your own.....

@JK-Electrical is there not something in the pipeline for Scotland for an official register of who can do EICRs. Hopefully it is and it wasn’t just hot air it will probably allow the real sparkys a chance to actually make some money from EICRs not that I’m that optimistic to think it will be completely watertight bet there’s still a fair few nuggets rolling about.

@JK-Electrical is there not something in the pipeline for Scotland for an official register of who can do EICRs. Hopefully it is and it wasn’t just hot air it will probably allow the real sparkys a chance to actually make some money from EICRs not that I’m that optimistic to think it will be completely watertight bet there’s still a fair few nuggets rolling about.
In fairness with anything like this you find so many folk get on the register that the market is saturated and the prices are driven right down.

You'd probably find the £50-£60 an EICR is even more common place, and the £30 a circuit you hoped for is a very none existent hope.

A lot of people thought there would be great money in doing the EPC ratings for properties. Market got flooded with folk that could do it, and the price for doing them ended up pretty terrible.

...and that's from a Greenocker:D
Lay off buzz.....he's using his snooker cue......backwards;)
Wit yi mean ipf trying to say um a hackit jakey cause I’m fae Greenock like? Am no a roaster you must be aff yir heed.

Usually my translator works and i know what he’s talking about but I genuinely ain’t got a clue ???

I now price EICRs to cover a day's pay at a minimum.

I wish I could do likewise, but the market over here won't allow me to. As I said in my previous post, it's overcrowded and the competition is cut-throat.

As you are already aware, SELECT are lobbying the Scottish Government to grant title of protection to Scottish electricians. SELECT are also lobbying for legislation that would make it a criminal offence for anyone to carry-out electrical installation work if they are not a qualified, registered electrician. The proposal is fully supported by the SJIB, UNITE the union and SECTT. The proposal, however, is being vigorously opposed by the NICEIC as it will mean the end of the road for their Electrical Trainee courses should such legislation be passed.

Anyone carrying-out any kind of electrical work in Scotland, including EICRs, will need to be registered. Those who are unqualified will then be prosecuted if they do not comply. Those who are under-qualified will be given assistance and time to bring their qualifications up to date. Furthermore, a separate proposal calls for mandatory use of approved certifier schemes.

I can't say much else at the moment other than this issue was discussed at the SELECT Glasgow branch meeting last week and I can assure you that the gloves are coming off. My own view is that we will have protection of title sooner or later. The sooner, the better. There will then ensue a much-needed and long-overdue purge within the electrical contracting industry north of the border, and once the bottom-feeders have been banished, the race to the bottom will end and the market gradually restored to equilibrium. That's when we can begin earning what we are worth instead of continually having to compete on an unlevel playing field.

Same here.... The days gone so it needs to be covered, so thats about £220 for an average house, im pretty thorough to be fair too, constantly picking things up on installs that have passed previously and shouldn't have, i won't be joining the race to the bottom thats for sure.

To give you an example of just how bad things are up here, I was recently invited by a property-letting agency to carry-out an EICR on one of their properties with the promise of more to come "if my price was good". When asked how much my fee would be for a two-bedroom house I told them £125.00. They then told me that they pay no more than £80.00 for EICRs done in houses, even less for one-bedroom flats. I declined their offer. Their properties, incidentally, are located almost 25 miles away and it would take 45 minutes to get there from Glasgow.

To give you an example of just how bad things are up here, I was recently invited by a property-letting agency to carry-out an EICR on one of their properties with the promise of more to come "if my price was good". When asked how much my fee would be for a two-bedroom house I told them £125.00. They then told me that they pay no more than £80.00 for EICRs done in houses, even less for one-bedroom flats. I declined their offer. Their properties, incidentally, are located almost 25 miles away and it would take 45 minutes to get there from Glasgow.
Must be absolute nuggets doing the EICRs at those prices no wonder everyone hates them. :rolleyes:
Im aware of the protection of title case @JK-Electrical but I thought that there was another thing in the pipeline about having a competent persons register about EICRs for rental properties? If it was enforced correctly it could well do a lot to rid the scoundrels from the EICR market but in reality it would probably be similar to the part P chaos down the road. Anyway hopefully they sit up and take notice and bring in protection of title. Only thing is does that mean we all need to be in a scam??? I did look into joining the NIC and or Select and thought select would be the better option I just can’t see why I should though they aren’t really offering me much I don’t have at the moment except maybe some more work and a sticker for my van

As you are already aware, SELECT are lobbying the Scottish Government to grant title of protection to Scottish electricians. SELECT are also lobbying for legislation that would make it a criminal offence for anyone to carry-out electrical installation work if they are not a qualified, registered electrician. The proposal is fully supported by the SJIB, UNITE the union and SECTT. The proposal, however, is being vigorously opposed by the NICEIC as it will mean the end of the road for their Electrical Trainee courses should such legislation be passed.

Anyone carrying-out any kind of electrical work in Scotland, including EICRs, will need to be registered. Those who are unqualified will then be prosecuted if they do not comply. Those who are under-qualified will be given assistance and time to bring their qualifications up to date. Furthermore, a separate proposal calls for mandatory use of approved certifier schemes.

I can't say much else at the moment other than this issue was discussed at the SELECT Glasgow branch meeting last week and I can assure you that the gloves are coming off. My own view is that we will have protection of title sooner or later. The sooner, the better. There will then ensue a much-needed and long-overdue purge within the electrical contracting industry north of the border, and once the bottom-feeders have been banished, the race to the bottom will end and the market gradually restored to equilibrium. That's when we can begin earning what we are worth instead of continually having to compete on an unlevel playing field.
If you look at the south of Ireland, as far as I am aware Electrician is not a protected title - however Registered Electrical Contractor and REC are legally protected and it is a criminal offence for anyone to describe themselves as such if they are not, or to false portray themselves as a REC or to act in a manner likely to suggest that they are a REC.

Same here.... The days gone so it needs to be covered, so thats about £220 for an average house, im pretty thorough to be fair too, constantly picking things up on installs that have passed previously and shouldn't have, i won't be joining the race to the bottom thats for sure.
LOL. I have some clients who think I'm far too strict. Strangely I have others who like getting me in to inspect their installations as having had an electrical fire in the past they feel reassured by the fact that I might identify 30 issues and recommend remedial action.

Reply to Domestic EICR pricing??????? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net