Domestic fuse box cover advice needed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic fuse box cover advice needed in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paul 1962

We live in a 1960's terrace. The electric supply is via a fuse box with old school rewireable fuses and the system is fine for our needs. There are no children or pets to consider in this scenario.For plastering and decorating purposes, the door and attached frame was removed from the wall by unscrewing the four screws holding the frame in place. In essence the wires, fuses, etc. are now in a recess in the wall. The frame will go back into the space.Do the regs state that the door must be metal? I was thinking that it would look so much better if the 'hole' could have a lightweight removable mirror/picture/painting over the 'hole' rather than the frame containing the door which sits about 2" proud of he wall when in place.Safety is important but common sense also works and I would appreciate all qualified comments. Many thanks, Paul

I'm with wirepuller here, it would be interesting to see the set up. My first concern is what if any live parts may be exposed with this "Frame" not in place. You say that it is OK for your purposes, and there are no children etc to consider, but what about you, and maybe your other half, electric is not choosy about who it kills or injures, and if there exposed live parts, and you need to replace a blown fuse in the dark at sometime, you could get hurt.

So shove picky up, and you will get some good advice, there maybe someone local who might be willing to come and have a look at it.

Cheers……………..Howard

Reply to Domestic fuse box cover advice needed in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net