Domestic generator changeover switch - test and certification | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic generator changeover switch - test and certification in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IzzyS

-
Reaction score
As the title - what's the standard practice when installing a manual changeover switch? Full I&T of every circuit in the installation? That's what the ECA help line suggests I should do, but I can't see me winning the job as it has 18 circuits spread over 2 wylex boards.

Or a quick test of the before and after Zdb to make sure that the switch hasn't affected the existing loop values, and test the RCD which is built into the generator?

And I suppose from January next year the c/o switch will have to be a metal-clad TT shock risk, non-combustible type :sad_smile:

Where does the reference to TT come in to the changeover switch? The generator is TNS, unless the incoming supply is TT?
I would expect the paperwork to include testing of the circuit run from the generator to the changeover switch, testing of the earth electrode for the generator. And a block diagram of the installed changeover arrangements including instructions on its correct use and details on how the changeover of the earthing systems is achieved.

Correct, incoming supply is TT - it's out in the sticks and suffers regular outages in the winter.

No need to worry about a changeover of the earthing then.
So in my opinion it's just testing of the new circuit from the generator to the changeover switch and proper testing of the earth electrodes for the new TNS from the generator.

Reply to Domestic generator changeover switch - test and certification in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net