Domestic Installation Certification Question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Installation Certification Question in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phawk

Don't know if anyone can help me, I've just completed my first major works out on my own with nobody 'holding my hand'.

It was a pretty horrible job with absolutely loads of fault finding, customer changing her mind every 5 mins and new work being requested every time I saw her. To be honest, if I had known the volume of work she wanted when I started (I was originally only installing a new kitchen ring), I would have recommended a full re-wire. Anyway........

I ended up changing the ccu, installing some new circuits, removing others and altering the lighting to include more pendant drops.

It is now working perfectly, and I am happy with the system and all testing is complete.

Now I'm not sure how to certificate it, do I treat it as a new installation and issue an electrical installation certificate, schedule of tests & schedule of inspections OR a schedule of tests and major/minor works certs?

Also, does this warrant a PIR?

I want to get this right as I want to use it as my major works for my NIC domestic installer.

Thanks!

You've installed new circuits so you'll need an EIC/SOT&R for each new circuit. Nothing to do for the circuits you've removed. For the modified circuit(s) you can do a MWC/SOT&R.

Only you can decide if the untouched older circuits would be worth a PIR(EICR), all the others will be fine (right? :)).

At the end of the day you are only responsible for the work you have done.

You should, of course, have checked the meter tails and main bonding as well.

Thanks, the tails and bonding are ok, the board I replaced was actually fairly new, but installed badly and was too small for the extra circuits.

Am i reading correctly, that an EIC needs to be issued per circuit? Can I not cover the installation with one EIC and note all works in the 'Description & Extent' section as the SOT should cover the specifics?

I'm happy to do that, the system is now spot on, I spent days fault finding and tracing back every cable! Won't be making that mistake again.

Sorry madam, your property needs A FULL REWIRE! Haha.

Thanks

Issue one EIC but ensure all modified/added circuits are listed on the schedule of test results, each with their own set of results. You can use more than one sheet of test results if that helps the cert look tidy.

Thanks, the tails and bonding are ok, the board I replaced was actually fairly new, but installed badly and was too small for the extra circuits.

Am i reading correctly, that an EIC needs to be issued per circuit? Can I not cover the installation with one EIC and note all works in the 'Description & Extent' section as the SOT should cover the specifics?
Eeek, no one EIC for all the new circuits! Sorry, that was poorly worded!

Edit: as you've changed the whole CU anyway then you can do it all on the one EIC.

I'm off to get a beer!

Last edited:

Reply to Domestic Installation Certification Question in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net