Domestic Installer | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RKistenmacher

Hey peeps, I have recently completed a Domestic Installers course with OLCI construction and i am soon to complete my 17th edition and i was wondering if anyone could advise me as to where to start looking for a job to start a career in the field?

Thanks
Richard

Thanks for the welcome. What sort of company would be looking for domestic installers? Am i better looking at small independents or larger organisations? Should i expect to go in a trainee level or a qualified position? I am very short of good advice at the min.

You've only got a DI cert and no 17th yet. I'll be honest with you, its going to be difficult for you to get anything more than a mates position atm. Send your CV off to small and big firms alike. Start off slow and build up your experience, we all did it at some stage.

Thanks for the welcome. What sort of company would be looking for domestic installers? Am i better looking at small independents or larger organisations? Should i expect to go in a trainee level or a qualified position? I am very short of good advice at the min.

The way things are at the moment most companies will take whatever comes their way, so as Paul has said a CV and covering letter to EVERY local company that you can travel to in a reasonable amount of time. As with this sort of thing persistence pays off eventually. If your CV lands in the right place at the right time you may just save a company from spending big money and time advertising and interviewing. This is how I landed my current job as an Electrical Assessor/Instructor. Had they have advertised i dare say they would have got someone who already holds the assessor awards etc and highly qualified and experienced as well, but thats just how it goes sometimes. I must have ticked enough boxes for them to offer me the position, and to save them a fortune in both time and money interviewing etc. I will also back up what Paul is saying about you getting an improver or mate type position, we all started at the bottom, so that is where you must be prepared to go. If you want experience don't limit yourself to Domestic, take everything going because someday you may need to fall back onto another discipline if domestic dries up.

Cheers...........Howard

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Domestic Installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net