Domestic problem | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic problem in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Martinm

Here we go folks..

I was called to a domestic property today, a 1930s dwelling, with the initial wiring and consumer unit still installed. The problem was, on arrival the girl said to me when she turned the light switch on in the living room of the property the three lamps in the light completly blew (literally) smashed, to pieces, leaving the glass from the lamps spread over the living room area.

I asked her had she changed her lamps recenlty, she said "no".

I then went to the CU which was quite dated, and found one 5amp rewireable fuse, which had blown. I had changed the fuse wire, and the lights were alright once again.

However, The fact that the lamps had completely blew, threw me, and its something that I have never heard of before. and, the fact that the whole lighting system in the house was on a five amp fuse left me with cause for concern - there was indeed many lights in the property. including a series of spots in the kitchen..

What are your thoughts on this one?

Now might be a good time to update the installation, particularly if the wiring is VIR or the like, which at around 80 years old has had a good innings.
I wouldn't go poking around too much until anything has been agreed with the customer - you might find that simply loosening a socket front could make the insulation on the wires fall apart, and then of course "it was fine until you got here".

Now might be a good time to update the installation, particularly if the wiring is VIR or the like, which at around 80 years old has had a good innings.
I wouldn't go poking around too much until anything has been agreed with the customer - you might find that simply loosening a socket front could make the insulation on the wires fall apart, and then of course "it was fine until you got here".

Yes, yes, I know what you mean.

I'm more curious as to why the lamps would have blown, is this totally abnormal???

could have been just 1 lamp blew, taking the others and the fuse wire with it. sometimes , when a lamp blows, the vaporisation of the filament can give rise to very high current for a split second.

Was it 5A fuse wire? Could explain the “blown” lamps.
Somewhere in my little black museum I’ve got a 500W halogen, bent like a banana. Some plonker put a 32A fuse in rather than walk back to the workshop for a 6A.

Reply to Domestic problem in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net