Domestic smoke alarm system. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic smoke alarm system. in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

schoe

Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody could offer me some advice. I'm looking to hard wired two smoke alarms in my property, one on each floor. can anyone advice me how to go about this.I assume it has to be run from it's own 6 amp fuse, what cable do I use? Is 1.5mm twin and earth cable correct fp200, do I have to fit a unswitched fuse spur, and if so when wiring it from the fuse spur do I just loop into one alarm then onto the next like a radial circuit?Also my board is rcd protected is that an issue? Sorry for all the questions would really appreciate any advice,Kind regards chris

wire in 1.0mm or 1.5mm to the first detector from any available light fitting with a permanent L/N/E. then wire a 3core&E to the other detector. this is so that if 1 avtivates, they both will sound. you can , if you prefer, wire on it's own circuit from the CU. the problem with this way is that mr. numpty householder can turn the breaker off.

Last edited:
no problem. they're easy to wire up. L/N obviously to each, then your extra core in the 3core connects the 2 terminals marked sig. ( or similar, for signal ). most detectors have a blank terminal for your cpc's similar to a light ceiling rose.

Last edited:
Alrite there mate, Just another thought to throw in there ;) You could just run 1/1.5 t&e from light upstairs to smoke with a radiolink base and a 1/1.5 t&e from light downstairs to smoke with radiolink base and connect that way. A bit extra money but saves on the hassle of running a 3core t&e between detectors. I've done it in the past as it has saved alot of time along with not having to hide a piece of trunking in a cupboard!!

To be honest if I was doing it and the customer was happy to have cables chased in or a piece of trunking in cupboard I'd prefer to put interconnecting cable in too. But if that was out of question I'd put in radiolink. Never had any problems interconnecting or from loss of signal. If customer was happy to pay extra for them saves me pulling in cable between them! I'm all for an easy life ;)

I'm just out of college and there are many areas which we didn't cover unless it involved wiring it up on small wooden board so all the advice is really appreciated as simple as it sounds it's always good just to confirm what I was thinking, cheers.

Reply to Domestic smoke alarm system. in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net