Domestic smoke alarms info | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic smoke alarms info in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

simonspark

Hello all. For the past couple of years I´ve been installing radiolink detectors supplied from local lighting feeds. I´ve had that nagging feeling that it does not comply with BS 5839 because the detectors are not on their own dedicated supply or that they are not protected via another fuse. All of this is stated in the regs.
This week, during a loft extension job, the building inspector (******) told me that he wanted an LD 1 system. A detector in every room. 14 of the buggers! And this was to be retrofitted. The previous inspector was happy with an LD 3, by the way.
So, because this guy seemed to be so pedantic, I thought I´ld better check my facts And I found this little chestnut
BS 5839: Pt.6: 2004 recognises the benefits of radio communication in
the note to Clause 15.5 dealing with power supply requirements for
smoke alarms, thus: “This recommendation [for a single final circuit] does
not apply if the form of interconnection is not capable of conducting
current, e.g. if the means of interconnection compromises radio
communication rather than wiring”.
Which means I´ve been doing right all along without knowing it!
This was just some information to all of you ( surely I´m not the only one) who have had the same doubts.
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on this, but even if you are unsure as to its compliance with BS5839, it will be compliant with BS7671, and more importantly if they are supplied from a locally normally used lighting circuit then they are installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.
So if you comply with the manufacturers instructions it will be compliant to all of the above.

Reply to Domestic smoke alarms info in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net