domestic smoke alarms | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss domestic smoke alarms in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

haden

does anyone know what the minimum requirements for smoke/heat alarms are in a domestic situation under the part p requirements

In a new build situation the minimum requirement would be 1x on landing and 1x bottom of stairs, or if its 3 storey one on top landing as well, all interlinked.
In an existing building thats been rewired for eg, theres no actual requirement to fit them at all, but we do anyway as a matter of our own piece of mind.

In a new build situation the minimum requirement would be 1x on landing and 1x bottom of stairs, or if its 3 storey one on top landing as well, all interlinked.
In an existing building thats been rewired for eg, theres no actual requirement to fit them at all, but we do anyway as a matter of our own piece of mind.
Forgot about the heat detector in the kitchen.

Hi guys,

Great timing on this thread. If a kitchen should have a heat detector ( to meet Building Regs ), then if that kitchen has a utility room which accessible from the kitchen, which houses the high-load electrical appliances like washing machines and tumble dryers, does this room also need a heat detector of some kind ? Or does it only relate to cooking facilities ???

I ask as 'we' work on a effective rebuild of a 3-storey house that is huge.

Mac, the only part i can see in the site lines is paragragh 1.14, b and it states that if the kitchen area is not seperated from say a hallway by means of a door then yeh a heat/det is req, we fit them as i stated as a matter of course anyway, but where does it say in our regs there has to be a h/det in kitchen, not saying your wrong, as i said we fit em anyway, but its not as i can see unless the kitchen is open plan say, do you agree or disagree.
Would anyone else like to comment.

Mac, the only part i can see in the site lines is paragragh 1.14, b and it states that if the kitchen area is not seperated from say a hallway by means of a door then yeh a heat/det is req, we fit them as i stated as a matter of course anyway, but where does it say in our regs there has to be a h/det in kitchen, not saying your wrong, as i said we fit em anyway, but its not as i can see unless the kitchen is open plan say, do you agree or disagree.
Would anyone else like to comment.
Sorry mate,i know what your saying.There is nothing stated in the regs.I have always fitted heat detectors in kitchens as a personal preference.There have always been doors from the hallway etc etc.Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about a utility room off the kitchen.If the door was closed ,would you need to fit a heat detector in there as well.End of the day mate,nobody is wrong.Each to his own and what preference you want.Anyway thanks,John.

Reply to domestic smoke alarms in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net