Domestic smokes | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic smokes in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lister

OSG page 65 " smoke setectors may be wired from a local regularly used lighting circuit (THERE SHOULD BE MEANS OF ISOLATING THE SUPPLY TO THE ALARMS WITHOUT AFFECTING THE LIGHTING)"

Does any body do this/ seen this/ how you do this
To be honest this is the first time ive seen this reg, six inches of t&e from the landing ceiling rose to the smoke, where does the isolator go?

I know its for new dwellings but better guidance is given on page 123 of building regs states that they should have an independant circuit, no reason why the same rule cant apply to old dwelling if you have space in the CU

Chris

I personally run them from the lighting circuit every time.

They will soon reset the MCB if it trips!

As for this isolation point, how do we work on light pendents then?

Do we need an isolator for each one of those???????:D

and another thing, if you provide isolation without affecting the lights what do we think will happen???

yep the munters turn them off cause it went off once!!!! seen it done more than once.

As I see it the best way is for them to have their own circuit. That said I go off the light circuit since that way it is obvious that there is power to the smoke alarm. I also tend to fit ones with a battery backup.

Reply to Domestic smokes in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net