Domestic surge/lightning protection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic surge/lightning protection in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Please excuse me if this is a silly question, but it's a subject I don't have a great deal of knowledge on....
I'm currently in the process of a the second fix stage of a rather remote domestic new build in the middle of Bodmin moor. Like a lot of installs now it involves a air heat source unit and solar water heating.
With the amount of electronics in these systems I feel it's best to install a basic surge protection unit at the origin of the installation.
however, this has got me thinking, we are going to run a small 40a supply to a agricultrual build that is probably 200m away. The problem is, this is 'up across' the fields and probably 20m+ higher in elevation. The owner/farmer has already commented that lightning strikes and loss of power are common. ...
Would a surge unit installed at the origin of the distribution circuit to the out building (ie at the house) afford any additional protection against a surge 'back feeding' to the house electrics from the higher out building?

There's a difference between lightning protection and surge protection. Usually you'd do a risk assessment using meteorological data for that area to decide what type of protection is appropriate. It might be worth a look at some of the publications on the Dehn website.

you'd have to have surge protection on both the incomer and the supply end of the feed to the remote barn.

type 2 for surges from indirect nearby strikes, type 1 for direct strikes, or a combo unit.

if concerned about the solar water heating unit taking a direct hit, possibly protect that circuit in the loft, but ultimately the strike would go through the copper pipework to earth anyway.

Reply to Domestic surge/lightning protection in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks