Don't forget... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Don't forget... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IzzyS

-
Reaction score
A quick reminder why you shouldn't touch anything your 2 pole tester hasn't touched first...

[ElectriciansForums.net] Don't forget...

It has a custom printed (not standard "Next Inspection...") label "Tested for electrical safety by <company name>", signed and dated on the cover.

The least I'd do is find out from the home owner whether any work has taken place since that company tested it and signed it off as safe. If not I'd be popping round with that picture and having a word with the owner of the firm next time I was in the area! Either that or posting it off if the company was far away!

The least I'd do is find out from the home owner whether any work has taken place since that company tested it and signed it off as safe. If not I'd be popping round with that picture and having a word with the owner of the firm next time I was in the area! Either that or posting it off if the company was far away!
well...it wasn`t long back when i was looking at a condition report done by a so called `approved contractor`....63A BS88s down for .4 sec diss time, missing blanks had been alloted a 2, various dis-boards were of the domestic type and were not really suitable for external influences, there were a hell of a lot of NVs on the schedule of tests...in fact both the (R1 R2) and R2 columns were full of NVs...yet IR had been put down as 199.9.....?????...

there was allsorts of anomalies on that bloody report....and i was explaining all this to TC at the recent harrogate show.....

his response:

`the customer should have contacted us with a complaint about it`

YEAH RITE!!...as if an average customer is going to know and/or understand what constitutes a 1, 2 or a 3..

i`m sorry Mr Cable if you happen to read this....but i wasn`t impressed the day at Harrogate with your reaction to this....i really wasn`t :disappointed:

i was explaining all this to TC at the recent harrogate show.....

his response:

YEAH RITE!!...as if an average customer is going to know and/or understand what constitutes a 1, 2 or a 3..

i`m sorry Mr Cable if you happen to read this....but i wasn`t impressed the day at Harrogate with your reaction to this....i really wasn`t :disappointed:

To be fair to him, if he wasn't covered in NIC logos his response would probably have been something more along the lines of "Well he deserves a slap round the chops then!".

TC has got to tow the party line at the end of the day, and that generic response of his sounds very NIC..esque.

I have to be honest, I feel sorry for quite a few of the NIC guys at the top. Having spoken to a few of them and heard various other stories from respected members of the electrical community, many of the top NIC guys absolutely hate their employers but can't do owt about it. They earn a good keep, they feed their familys and they get to go home at 5pm on the dot every day. All they have to do for this is sing the praises of the organisation they work for.

They are essentially stuck in a rut. They are whoring themselves out to the NIC and a cause they absolutely don't believe in because there isn't very many other choices available to them. Tow the line or don't put food on the table is undoubtedly the message that rolls downhill from the very top.

wasn`t it the fuhrer who once stated at the reich party conference of the will that:

`nothing works unless one will commands...and the others obay`...

lol....

there were three of em at the NIC stand...and they all didn`t waste any time attempting to justify the fee increase (without prior notice), the concept of one QS covering many operatives/installers ...on several different sites nor the idea that councils up and down the land cant guarentee competancy `unless its NIC AC`..

in the end old TC dragged us away from front of house caus i was being persistant...

ask Phil Davies....he was there as well and asking searching questions of his own...

them three didn`t want us around i can tell you....

i was asked by TC if i wanted to sit through one of the `seminars`....well i thought...if all they are going to bleat on about is `the importance of Zs`...and this at a trade show for electricians...where you would reasonably expect that the majority of the audience are going to be fully conversant anyway about `the importance of Zs`....well...

a bit earlier they were going on about conduit being used as a fault path...and how to measure it reliably...

`tap joints in conduit lightly with a small hammer whilst taking value of R2` i called to the guy with the mic as i walked past.....he kind of looked at me in a non-plussed way...then promptly delivered what i had said to his `audience`.....lol..

Haha, fat lot of use that isolator is going to be on the first RCD :D

DIYers, doncha just hate 'em!

Don't you be cheeky .. I have you know I'm a fully qualified Industrial Spark but I don't do domestic very often and that was a job I did last year and there's nothing wrong with it - the lights all work, so does the beer fridge and so does the telly and the punter is very happy with it!!

well...it wasn`t long back when i was looking at a condition report done by a so called `approved contractor`....63A BS88s down for .4 sec diss time, missing blanks had been alloted a 2, various dis-boards were of the domestic type and were not really suitable for external influences, there were a hell of a lot of NVs on the schedule of tests...in fact both the (R1 R2) and R2 columns were full of NVs...yet IR had been put down as 199.9.....?????...

there was allsorts of anomalies on that bloody report....and i was explaining all this to TC at the recent harrogate show.....

his response:

Sums things up rather well, Glen. Anyone can lead the blind but the blinkered need their heads turning by those with 20/20 vision.
It stands out like a sore thumb, though...they attract the suckers.

Reply to Don't forget... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net