downlighter problem, hhheeelllppp!!!! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss downlighter problem, hhheeelllppp!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
right a customer of mine wanted led downlighters and when cutting the holes out in the lounge i came across 2 joists next to each other with just enough gap to get the hole cut, i wasn't too concerned as led throw no heat out but now he's changed his mind and wan't's halogens, can i fit the fire rated halogens, even if it's tight, what else can i do apart from cutting a new hole in his ceiling?!?!?!

save the piece you cut out. fix a piece of wood, about 2" x 1" above the hole, screwed through board either side. fix cut out circle to wood. fill with polyfiller.

NEW hole even if LED they need air circulation as for FIRE RATED they DONT PREVENT fires FFS Follow manufacturers instructions show them to client and explain the problem if he doesnt budge hit him with building regs ect ect Wouldnt want Domlittlewood chasing you down if house caught fire would you?

so basically you saying there is nothing that can be done apart from cutting a new hole?

i'v had to fix them before i'm just seeing if there is anyway too actually leave the hole and protect the fitting at the same time and keep the light layout looking good

NEW hole even if LED they need air circulation as for FIRE RATED they DONT PREVENT fires FFS Follow manufacturers instructions show them to client and explain the problem if he doesnt budge hit him with building regs ect ect Wouldnt want Domlittlewood chasing you down if house caught fire would you?

HAHA That bit does my head in too!!!

All you have to do is explain to the customer why the lights are positioned - emphasising the need for safety and to comply with the manufacturers instructions "free space" around the fitting.

not telling u how to suck eggs mate but in future make a big effort to locate ALL the joists before you drill out your downlight holes, on a finished ceiling, i even use a tiny bradel after ive marked them to test for joists before i drill them out, even if they are for leds as the chances are they would be changed at some point, especially if they are GU10's, its better to cover all bases and it looks so much more professional when you walk away from the job and theres only spots in the ceiling and not polly filler patch ups!

Reply to downlighter problem, hhheeelllppp!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net