Earth Leakage Device | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth Leakage Device in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

haj

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys
My first job on a TT system quick look and me thinks it has 100ma RCD but am told its an early eath leakage device ?? and needs to be removed ? any of your valuable thoughts would be gratefully recieved:D

The were 2 types of old VOELCB's, one was black with a small yellow test button, tho other was grey with a long yellow test button.

These should be removed as they are of no use and probably dont work anyway.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Earth Leakage Device

The were 2 types of old VOELCB's, one was black with a small yellow test button, tho other was grey with a long yellow test button.

These should be removed as they are of no use and probably dont work anyway.

Apoplogies if it sounds a stupid question - what should they be replaced with? A new RCD unit or a complete new CU?

These were used primarily on TT systems in the same way a 100mA TD is now.

A lot obviously depends on the customer and the existing CU. As a minimum they should be swapped out for an RCD, you could argue 30mA (if none present) but then that flies in the face of 314. Others would say 100mA TD, but what about sockets supplying equipment outdoors.....A new CU is the best measure together with the removal of the old VOELCB, no doubt.:)

These were used primarily on TT systems in the same way a 100mA TD is now.

A lot obviously depends on the customer and the existing CU. As a minimum they should be swapped out for an RCD, you could argue 30mA (if none present) but then that flies in the face of 314. Others would say 100mA TD, but what about sockets supplying equipment outdoors.....A new CU is the best measure together with the removal of the old VOELCB, no doubt.:)

If you can't convince the customer the customer to replace the CU , just the rcd, what certificate would you give (minor?) and would you justify your choice of rcd in 4) Details of departures (if you used the minor works cert)ie 30mA fitted because customer uses garden power tools - cheers:)

As I said, depends whats there.

It would be pointless fitting a 100mA TD if there wasn't any RCD present alraedy. Over protection is better than under protection IMO, If it were something like a 3036 board protected by a VOELCB and they just would not pay for a complete upgrade, I would fit a 30mA one and fill the comments box with as much info and reasoning for further upgrade as I could.

Thanks Guys
so remove and replace with A) Dual RCD board 30ma only or B) Boarb and 100ma time delayed RCD doing part rewire so new board is going in anyway.
Cheers

Reply to Earth Leakage Device in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net