Earth leakage meter | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth leakage meter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peteelecs

Does it matter from which way the cable enters the clamp by that I mean should meter front be facing towards load or towards the plug socket?

To use an earth leakage clamp meter you need a bit of flex you can plug in between the socket and the appliance with the outer sheath stripped off for 10-15 cm so that you can clamp just around N and L. If you are clamping around L,N and E then any leakage from live to earth ( or N to earth) will not show because the total in and out will be the same .

Are you saying that i clamp the L and N together or the L and E together?

You put your earth leakage clamp meter (set to mA) around the L and N, with the Earth outside the jaws. This will show any difference between L and N. If it is just leaking into the earth wire - then clamping just the earth should show a similar reading.

I thought that if you clamped the Line/Neutral at same time it would read zero as they cancel eachother out. Im prob wrong tho

that's is the point - if there is a difference that is your earth leakage. If it does read zero there is no earth leakage and that appliance is not contributing to an rcd tripping. It is perfectly normal for appliances to have a very small earth leakage.

Reply to Earth leakage meter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Just an update for anyone interested, I got another rod in outside today, which has lowered the Zs db to a more healthy 53ohms. The oven elements...
Replies
Views
Hence the former name for TNC-S, PME. Protective Multiple Earth.
Replies
Views
  • Question
IMO Better to do something about those ignoring regulations first! Current system is like having a speed limit but not enforcing anyone without a...
Replies
Views
Yes the first bit is just standard wiring, TNS lead cable into cut-out, cut-out to meter, meter to DP isolator, top of isolator is sealed as per...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks