Earth Leakage Testing | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth Leakage Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

Afternoon all

Been to a job through the holidays, Large domestic house in the sticks with a seperate house built on the land for the grandkids all fed off one supply.

They are reporting nuciness tripping and be no aparange pattern to when things trip, to give you an idea on the instal TT system. 100ma main RCD feeding a number of seperate 30MA Rcd's consumer units. Anyway the RCD that is tripping is situated in the main buiding feeding another DB in the seperate house. Its a sole RCD and only feeds the db in the second house.

Testing, First start by ramp test with no load, RCD trips at 18ma. Then do a global Ir (From Rcd and including all load on that rcd) and comes back less than 1meg.. 0.709 to be precice. Testing each curcuit individually and all curcuits over 1meg.. Now with all loads on each curcuit testing individually for earth leakage, 10 curcuits in total feeding a number of items. Each circuit was testing for earth leakage seperatly by isolating and running one at a time with full load (Well most of the larger items). Anyway the combined leakage on all the curcuit came back at roughly 15.4 ma. Rcd ramp test on full load and trips as soon as I hit start. to confirm there is leakage on all curcuit from 1-3 Ma. Nothing obviuous just a number of computers and fridge freezers in the garages which is also fed from this board. Load of forecent lighting (Bad spelling i know)

Firstly.. Earth leakage due to low IR value's. I make it 230/0.018 (18ma) = 12777 Oams 0.012777 Moams. Therefore not the problem. Or should this be multiplied by how many amps (Load) is applied to the curcuit or is it just a factor of 1?

I have discussed with the guy and he has asked for a new fusebox (His words not mine) to be installed in the second house and therefore removing the one 30ma RCD covering the board (Still 100ma protected) and protecting it with RCBO board covering all curcuits therefore everything is still RCD protected. Its having a new board fitted regardless to ensure that the grandkids can reset it if it trips.

With the Earth leakage being low on individial curcuits would you guys be happy? as i say the guy want new board fitting anyway as its the old rewireable and the grandkids dont know what to do in the event it blows

The "tripping" RCD - what is the value?

The "affected area" - are there RCD's on that board

So to ask the obvious but I'm being thick.

i'd go with the new CU, RCBOs. as long as the supply from the house to the grandkids house does not itself require 30mA RCD protectin, then you would be localising tripping issues.

RCBOs should cure that problem . the individual leakages will be confined to 1 RCBO, so cumulative leakage will be eliminated.

Supplying 10 circuits through a single 30mA RCD is always going to give you nuisance tripping problems, especially when the RCD is some distance away at the supply end of a sub-main. You could change the 30mA for a S Type 100 mA and install either an all RCBO CU or a dual RCD CU at the smaller house. Seems like a bit of a weird electrical system layout to be honest, how many DB/CU'S are there between these two houses etc??

What was the overall Ra value on the TT system of both houses BTW??

I would be IR testing each cct with the loads disconnected as you will be getting false readings otherwise.

As has been suggested RCBO's would be the way forward with a main TYPE S 100 mA installed for further protection.

As far as your RCD is concerned a 30 mA 230/0.03 = 7666 ohms & the 100 mA 230/0.1 2300 ohms !

Hopefully your 100 mA RCD will be time delayed allowing the 30 mA unit to clear the fault !

Reply to Earth Leakage Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net