Earth Rod Location | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth Rod Location in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Z

zapped

I would welcome some suggestions on a TT system that I'm going to upgrade/rewire, that by the way has no earth protection at the moment, thankfully the house is now unnoccupied.

The meter is typically over the front door which leads out from this terraced property directly onto the public footpath. I'm thinking of using an earth rod with the 'square box' terminal cover positioned just outside the front door.

My concern is Health and Safety and the potential trip hazard that might be created by the terminal cover, the footpath isn't particularly wide and the street has a fair proportion of elderly folk with various walking aids.

I'm a 'belt and braces' type of guy, but am I just being paranoid here?

(I've noticed other installations in the street where the rods been buried and that ain't cright in my opinion)

your opinions appreciated.

Zapped, in this day of litigation culture, i certainly wouldnt be putting in anything that could be remotely considered a trip hazard. You have people constantly making claims against local authorities for a paving slab being proud by an inch, so your box will be likely to come back and cause you problems.

Why not use a 'proper' earth inspection pit and bury it in the pavement so its level with the ground. I dont not know where you stand legally doing that as the pavement usually belongs, or is adopted by the council, but it is a better option. Another last resort could be to fit it under the floor board directly below the board, or use longer cable and go to the rear of the property - which would be my personal option, even though its a lot more work! Hope this helps mate

You could use an inspection earth pit to bury it and maintain access to the rod connection. B & Q tradepoint do one for £21.26 + vat, or check out Screwfix or your local wholesellers.

Thanks for the replies, the problem with going to the rear of the house is the 16mtrs or so of run through the house (with whatever obstacle get in the way) perhaps the better option would be an inspection cover in the hallway tucked away in the corner. Approaching the council will be a nightmare!

Thanks

Looks like you’ve got a bit of digging to do to install a surface flush inspection box. Here’s just one idea http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTETC.html?source=adwords&kw=cover+earth+rod&gclid=CJXWsej5nagCFQoY4QodjWjRHg £4.15 + VAT
Happy digging

That is a good price Tony.Have you used them - any good?

Is the tube on the side for the rod entry so access from the side. Or is the bottom of the box open for the rod? so earth goes in through tube and inspection cover can be flush with ground? If you know what i mean ... i'm sure i could have asked that more clearly lol.
cheers.

Reply to Earth Rod Location in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net