Earth Rod Location | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth Rod Location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Gents,

Please can I seek the opinion of those experienced in positioning earthing rods (this is my first time!!!)

I am about to start a full rewire on an old mid terraced house, which is currently unoccupied. The existing electrics are ancient, so everything has to be renewed.

Its a TT system, but there doesn't appear to be an earthing rod; I suspect it used to rely upon the water main as an earth (although at some stage that has been upgraded to plastic!)

The meter is just inside the front door, and it a "straight onto the street" house so there's no front garden to put an earth rod in. The downstairs floors are concrete. As I will be doing a full rewire all the floorboards will be coming up, so from a practical point of view it would be easy to run the main earthing conductor through to the back garden (its not a large house) where there is ample scope for an earthing rod.

It looks to me as if my options are;

To put an earthing rod at the front, although this would technically be on the local authorities pavement by an inch or so, so would I need to ask permission from them? A couple of other houses on the street appear to have done this already, although the down side -apart from the council agreement- seems to be the relative difficulty of driving the rod through the pavement (I don't know what rubble / services / foundations might be under there) and that the rod may be more vulnerable to damage from pedestrians / buggies etc over time, although it could be mechanically protected, or

To run the conductor through the house and put the rod in the back garden, where it would be easy to drive and less vulnerable to damage. The only down side I can see here is that the conductor would be longer and therefore have a higher impedance, but we are only talking of a house that's about 35-40'front to back in total.

I'm swaying towards the back garden - does anyone have any views as to what would be the best option?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Just thought that if you put the rod out back (on the basis that the DNO cant/wont supply and earth) at least you can take Ra measurements, where as if it were out front on the pavement it would be impossible to take Ra measurements but putting the spikes in the ground.

DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELLO YOU HAVE THE ANSWER IN YOUR OWN WORDS BELOW :seeya:

As I will be doing a full rewire all the floorboards will be coming up, so from a practical point of view it would be easy to run the main earthing conductor through to the back garden (its not a large house) where there is ample scope for an earthing rod.

Reply to Earth Rod Location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net